How do military MRE's get into the civilian aftermarket?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I brought an MRE to an event with a bunch of other guys this weekend and several people asked how they can become for sale to civilians when it says on the bag "US government property commercial resale is unlawful".
    I never served so I really have no idea how the process of being issued gear and MRE's and / or returning them works. Someone at the event said he heard MRE's cannot be turned back in? I don't know what that means but sounds like a possible answer to how they become available.(?)

Are there situations that result in cases of these lawfully exiting military possession?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I was on a mine clearing tank with a crew of 2. We got the same box of mres a tank of 5 got. You can't give them back, so there is small scale.

Large scale is rotating stocks and contract overruns.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    You have people like me who tactically acquire them while in and some who then resell on open market FTF.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I got a bunch some years ago from someone close to me who was an Army officer, who was issued MRE's while in the field, but who usually had more palatable meal options available. My kids loved them.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    I use them for treks with the Scouts.
    I just assumed that they sold older ones and replaced them with newer ones or the manufacturer had overruns that were made available.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I've never purchased them. Have had a few cases given to me by a buddy in the Army, and I've given some of those on to others. Figured giving isn't selling.

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    Aren't they supposed to turn the average person into a crazed killing machine? That's why they are illegal for sale to the general public......right?

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    As stated above, many channels. Some "grey market", others completely legal, and yet other completely black market.

Completely legal: contract overruns, turning over stocks etc.
    Gray market: guy gets MRE's for field training exercise, hates them so he takes his own, more palatable option, then sells the MRE's on the local to recoup his costs on the more palatable options. Or guys are over-issued MRE's for field activities etc and don't use them all so they sell them.
    Black market: MRE's aren't tracked nearly as well as most other military property. It's quite easy for them to be stolen and sold on the local economy.

Unfortunately, it's very difficult to tell the difference between all of these. Buyer be ware that it's possible you're receiving stolen property. That being said, I've never heard of a single case of somebody being prosecuted for receiving stolen MRE's. However, if you come across a guy that has a pallet of them, you may want to ask for proof of ownership. The only way I can see somebody coming by large quantities would be contract overrun etc, and he should be able to provide that proof...

Shadow8088

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    My old roommate many years ago would come home from being a weekend warrior with CASES of MREs... (he was the supply sergeant) and we'd be set for camping for the year... it was pretty awesome...

Top Bottom