• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • badmac183

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 25, 2011
    hamlet, IN
    Can you guys give me ideas of how to carry a snub nose revolver without drawing to much attention? I just recently picked up a Smith 442 and I can't find anyway to carry, it besides in my pocket (with a blackhawk pocket holster), that it isn't extremely noticeable. Please take into account that I'm only 5 7 and 145lbs.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Can you guys give me ideas of how to carry a snub nose revolver without drawing to much attention? I just recently picked up a Smith 442 and I can't find anyway to carry, it besides in my pocket (with a blackhawk pocket holster), that it isn't extremely noticeable. Please take into account that I'm only 5 7 and 145lbs.

I would suggest trying an inside the waistband holster which rides roughly behind your pants pocket in the back. If I could hide a Colt 1911 that way, your 442 shouldn't be that difficult. I found the soft Uncle Mike's holster to be my favorite in spite or requiring occasional replacement by virtue of just not being as durable as leather or a more coarse synthetic material.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I would also encourage experimentation. A gracious shopkeeper may allow you to try out different options in the shop. In the end, you may get all kinds of advice, but only one person has to be happy with it!

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I've been extremely happy with my new Remora IWB holster. Having no beltloops or other givaways makes my snubbie disappear quite nicely.

:twocents:

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Desantis makes a hip grip (extension on rt grip) to hook over your belt. Front, back, 4:00, whatever. If used with an in pocket holster also works. Will work with most holsters. Use mine daily, w/ uncle mikes holster(cheapie) in pocket. No issues.
    It is also a "boot" type grip so max concealment is easy.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I carry mine in a pocket holster--work pants, blue jeans, and cargo shorts. Not all pockets are cut the same. I have some dress pants that make it very difficult to carry that way. My work pants pockets are a little snug, but acceptable. My blue jeans are fine for pocket carry FWIW.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I do pocket carry with mine on most of my jeans, but I have several pairs where the pockets aren't quite deep enough, or the jeans are not of the loose-fit variety. In these, sometimes I can pocket the gun with just the grip sticking out, other times its not possible.

IWB will work in most cases, or you can try ankle carry. Ankle carry offers good concealment, but may not be as practical in the summer or if you have an all-steel gun. Scandium and titanium frames work better for that.

They're small; you'll find a way. Most people use them as BUG's, so they tend to hide well. Honestly I feel like my 605 prints less than my TCP in my front pocket; the different thickness's throughout the length of the weapon disguise the distinctive "gun shape."

And nothing is quite so comforting in an uneasy situation as being able to stand casually with your hand in your pocket around the grip of a .357.

K9stang

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    Southern IN
    I am about the same hieght and weight. I carry mine IWB just behind the belt loop at the 4 o'clock postion. I almost always wear a button up shirt untucked over my t-shirt, conceals very well. In fact I notice my wife touching my hip to check and see if I am carrying sometimes.

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    S&W 42 Centennial (original, not reissue--sorry for the vanity, I am very proud of it) in an Uncle Mike's IWB clipped on my belt at about 4:00. The angle conceals further, and allows me to get it easier. This was my first carry rig, and I have really worked with that gun over the last 5 years. It is now my back-up carry in my pocket, with a 1911 being my primary.

As a not-entirely-off-topic caveat, not necessarily to the OP, but to anyone thinking about carrying a snubby because of their size and weight: don't. They are difficult guns not to master, but to shoot with any proficiency period. Snubbies sting worse than the .500 Magnum. Why wouldn't they: how many airweights equal the weight of an X-frame? Don't mean to soapbox, just speaking from experience.

Last edited:

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    My 442 usually rides in the pocket as a BUG and every once in awhile I carry it IWB around the 4 o'clock position. Love the 442! :rockwoot:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Willphill12
    Top Bottom