How do you feel about being fingerprinted?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I've been figerprinted, poked and prodded by so many federal, state and local agencies over the last 38 years, one more time aint gonna hurt.

Same here. They've known everything there is to know about me since I first got a TS clearance in 1966. At this stage of the game, I ain't to concerned. ;)

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    It's right and proper. All LEOs and military are fingerprinted.
    Join the club.

Except a job is not "exercising your rights".
    I had no problem with it to join the Navy. You give up a lot of rights while in.
    But, to get treated like a criminal, hmmmm..... futurecrime anyone. They need my fingerprint for when I eventually commit a crime?
    How about fingerprinting journalists, bloggers, tv newspeople?
    Bet there'd be an outrage there.

Last edited:

Cheeseburger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Same here. They've known everything there is to know about me since I first got a TS clearance in 1966. At this stage of the game, I ain't to concerned. ;)

That ship sailed years ago. US Navy took mine in 1980 for my clearance (Navy Nuke). Power plant in 86, LTCH and UT out of state, not to mention TSA for CDL HazMat.

What really twists my shorts, if I passed all these background checks why do I have to be frisked / molested to get on a plane? Seems my CDL or LTCH should be my pass through security. Must be the $75 plus they make a pop for each of these checks. With everything in computers these days you know all they do is type your name in and see if something pops.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Not so much against the fingerprinting itself, but hate the fact that I have to get them done for everything. If your fingerprints don't change (its what they say anyways) throughout your life then why the hell do I have to get my fingerprints done for a military security clearance, random fingerprinting for Uncle Sam, the owi I had last year, and the LTCH, and then any NFA stuff I decide to do in the future? Not cool.

I understand your feelings and I'm no fingerprint virgin myself, but consider this: in a time when identity theft is getting more and more prevalent, wouldn't you want to be fairly certain that the person getting the LTCH or NFA stuff in your name is actually you?

nomadicmutt

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 9, 2012
    They already have your prints anyway. Or at least they had mine when I went to take a standardized test at BSU.

Never been printed, but lo and behold all my info (including "occupation: filmmaker", which could only come from homeland as I do overseas shoots) immediately pops up. The guard guy shrugged and handed me back my ID without having to enter anything in at all.

Scary.

So when I got fingerprinted the "first time" (later) for my LTCH I didn't care. They already know everything anyway.

jLr

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I look at it like this...If I were ever to commit a crime, my fingerprints would be in a database because I wish to legally carry a handgun. On the other hand, a criminal, who carries illegally (well, not according to the Constitution) doesn't have to worry about his or her prints being on file if never arrested before.

No, I don't plan on committing any crimes, but just some food for thought.

isius

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I never really thought about the "they have all the other information anyway" argument. And I actually expected many more negative responses. Interesting.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I look at it like this...If I were ever to commit a crime, my fingerprints would be in a database because I wish to legally carry a handgun. On the other hand, a criminal, who carries illegally (well, not according to the Constitution) doesn't have to worry about his or her prints being on file if never arrested before.

No, I don't plan on committing any crimes, but just some food for thought.

How do you plan to prove you are you, if the question ever arises? Honestly, it's like the controversy over the military using Social Security Numbers for Service Numbers (which they did for over 20 years); by the time the identity theft issue came up, it was much too late to put the horse back in the barn. Be glad more departments are using electronic fingerprint readers now instead of that painfully messy ink/cardboard ritual. And just wait til you have to register your retinal prints in order to get money out of your bank's ATMs;)

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    That ship sailed years ago. US Navy took mine in 1980 for my clearance (Navy Nuke). Power plant in 86, LTCH and UT out of state, not to mention TSA for CDL HazMat.

What really twists my shorts, if I passed all these background checks why do I have to be frisked / molested to get on a plane? Seems my CDL or LTCH should be my pass through security. Must be the $75 plus they make a pop for each of these checks. With everything in computers these days you know all they do is type your name in and see if something pops.

They call it a fee but it's really a tax. [Think "O'Bama Care"]

Luckily, the agencies/companies I was working for always paid for the prints, poking and prodding.

Hell, I've got my birth certificate with footprints on it.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I spent several years as a securities broker, and was registered in every state except New Jersey (stupid broker tax). My prints are on file in every one of those states.

I've been printed more than most career felons.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    A Secret Clearance for a nuke uploaded F-4 Phantom Victor Alert Pad Crew Chief job locked me in eons ago. 30+ years of Indiana LTCH sorta sealed it and most recently a DOD RapidGate pass to carry a firearm on Crane is sorta the icing on the cake. I just hope my DNA is still mine !!

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I gave up DNA and fingerprints when I joined the military and then had to give another set of fingerprints when I got in country for deployment. Mine were already in the system so I didn't think anything of it. Not to mention that I had to write out my whole life story for security clearance. I'm an open book for uncle Sam.

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    Unless you where born at home or in a barn we've all been at least foot printed at birth. I've been fingerprinted for the USN, a high security clearance, and my LTCH. At least in this day and age of ID theft I can prove who I am.

For the proper reason I don't have a problem with being printed.

jLr

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I'm not really understanding the "it proves you are who you say you are" mentality. If someone steals your identity, they can be fingerprinted as you, right? In other words, their fingerprints to your name.

To me, the requirement of being fingerprinted to legally carry a handgun is an INFRINGEMENT on the right to bear arms. It doesn't have anything to do with being fingerprinted for whatever other reason (i.e. security clearance, military, etc.) that "makes it okay," because we are talking about rights. Would it be okay if you were required to obtain a permit or license in order to exercise free speech, or peaceably assemble?

Top Bottom