• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    ...As for a holster, despite the nay-sayers, a retention holster should also be considered mandatory.

...Is that the 'right' way to do it? I dunno, do your thing, your way.

I just chopped out all that other stuff between these contradictory statements. ;)
    Yet, 'curiously', the two statements are not at all contradictory.

Perhaps because it states, "should be considered mandatory".

Of course, there are those out there that believe themselves 'impervious' to a gun grab, or being disarmed, and feel a retention mechanism 'shows weakness' of some sort. It typically comes from those with little to no practical experience and/or those who've never 'been there - done that'.

They're wrong, of course. We just hope they never find that out the hard way. It could be a fatal error in judgment. :n00b:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

Of course, there are those out there that believe themselves 'impervious' to a gun grab, or being disarmed, and feel a retention mechanism 'shows weakness' of some sort. It typically comes from those with little to no practical experience and/or those who've never 'been there - done that'.

They're wrong, of course. We just hope they never find that out the hard way. It could be a fatal error in judgment. :n00b:

Just the act of carrying a gun could be a fatal error in judgment.
    Why not retention with a concealed gun then?

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville

Well, if there was any lingering doubt about the conflicting nature of your statements or sentiments (I'm certainly not saying there was), you've now managed to completely eradicate it.

Your further exposition, including the beating of the straw men and gratuitous self-adulation, was dizzying to say the least. :):

DC47374

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Richmond, IN
    Maybe my search skills suck, but I couldn't find anything on this in the forum, so excuse me if there are older similar threads.

Anyways, I cc 95% of the time in public and usually wear simple jeans and a t-shirt... Soon I will be wanting to start open carrying a large .45 pistol (3lbs loaded, yikes) and what I'm basically getting to... Would clothing really matter? I don't think clothing choice makes a big difference for oc for the most part, but I've been wrong before. I also for some reason picture open carrying in a regular t-shirt and jeans looking like a "young punk" might get me more attention then if I wore different clothes (button up shirt etc). I'm fairly young (22, almost 23) and have been told I look even younger in the face, and being new to oc I want to minimalise uncomfortable encounters... I assume most people think open carriers 30+ are LEO and most people wont bother to worry if they have that thought set in their mind. Or am I just overthinking this? (I'm very prone to this haha)

Also curious how you guys look when you OC! (Pics appreciated)

I prefer not to wear flip flops...it just makes me feel silly.

TWalker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    New Castle
    I made a video on how I carry everyday. I left out all the med supplies

[video]https://youtu.be/pJ3wG1p0u1M[/video]

It's all lies. I carry in all those different methods and that includes OC but not all at once lol. A lot of the time it's appendix with the Glock.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    If you openly carry, you will not be able to avoid the looks of scorn, or the possibility of interaction with LEOs. Our society has simply become too anti-gun these days. Just be ready for it, and act on your best behavior at all times. (yes, your manor of dress can affect how people see you.) I wouldn't go around strapped, with baggy pants... Be sure to comply with LEOs. Fight it out in court if you feel you are being violated.

I have open carried now for 4 years. In two different states (including VA, right outside of DC). I have yet to be hassled by LEO's or even store security personnel. I ALWAYS have a grin on my face, and I hold doors for little old ladies. I think some of the scorn and hassling can come from attitudes. I have had several older folks ask me about my gun, and I tell them I am just a citizen that believes in the ability to protect myself. The vast majority of them smile, and say they are GLAD that someone responsible is carrying, that it makes them feel safer. Even had a few folks buy me a cup of coffee.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    My go to rig is an ankle holster . . . with shorts . . . sandals . . . and black tactical socks.

jkwparrott

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Corydon, IN
    I have never had a negative encounter either, as many of the other posters here have already said. I OC everywhere except at work (company policy says no firearms in the building, but everyone knows I have guns in my vehicle). Most people never notice it, and I carry a large gun, either a Kimber Gold Match II or a Ruger P345. I have had many positive encounters and only one "shocked" moment. I was in the grocery store when a man and his son (about 7 or 8) walked by. The boy was eye level with the gun, so he saw it and I heard him tell his dad "That man has a gun.", his father looked at me and said "I see that, what do you think? Should I carry mine?" They oth smiled and walked off, I'd like to know the reply to that question but I couldn't hear what the kid said.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I open carry in a rather traditional, belt holster on my hip, with either my Sig P320 as a full sized 9mm or a Ruger Security Six 4" when I wear a belt with either jeans or shorts. When I wear my Bib Overalls I wear the same weapons though use a Galco Miami II Shoulder rig.

Gonna try the ankle holster with shorts this summer though... :D

Only one neg exp, had an old guy push his wife down and fall on top of her yellin "HE's GOT A GUN" as I entered Staples here in TH. The old guy was asked to leave and I was shown to the item I was after. Everyone at the store at the time laughed at the old bird and while I am not sure, his wife probably kicked his ass when they got home.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I live in the Ghetto so I have had many encounters with the man in blue, off duty, on duty and working as security guards. It has been very educational, for them, I actually had one yelling at me "I don't know what this IC 35-47 is you keep talking about" he had to call in to find out I was right.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I live in the Ghetto so I have had many encounters with the man in blue, off duty, on duty and working as security guards. It has been very educational, for them, I actually had one yelling at me "I don't know what this IC 35-47 is you keep talking about" he had to call in to find out I was right.

Did he then calm down?

One Shot One Kill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 15, 2014
    Near The Dunes
    Well finally OCed today for the first time for an entire day.
    Worst day ever! First some cop harassed me, stole my gun from me "for his safety" and insisted I cover it up so some 5 year old doesn't come and grab it from me. I thought that was total bs, but lo and behold while in the local auto store, a 5 year old snuck up behind me and promptly snagged my .45 and I had to chase the little bugger down and wrestle it from his child death-grip. Just when I thought my day couldn't get any worse, as I was standing in line in the gas station, and armed robber came in and shot me first because he saw my gun!
    Naw, it was uneventful, and I got a few funny looks but that was it :). Places I went included: Autozone, Nappa, Payless shoes, gas station, and goodwill.

Top Bottom