• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    I know a lot of you are all :tinfoil: and won't share, but those that are willing to help I appreciate it. My 10 month old is starting to get into everything, and we need a solution for our bedside guns. We both have a pistol on our end table next to the bed, but up until now there is no form of security. I have seen those biometric safes and have considered them, but would really like something that I could get to even quicker. We have a small house, and it wouldn't take long to get to our bedroom from any of the entry doors.

So do any of you have a more creative way of storing your bedside guns? Or am I just over-thinking this, and I need to get a little biometric safe and be done with it?

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    My EDC gun is also my bedside gun. I keep the gun inside my nightstand drawer. When I get up it goes back into the safe on my dresser until I get dressed. If I were to have a bedside safe I would open it up when I go to bed and then just close it when I wake up.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    Tagged for interest.

I don't have kids in the house so I don't lock up my night stand gun (which is also my EDC.) However, I'm interested to see how the parents do this.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I know a lot of you are all :tinfoil: and won't share, but those that are willing to help I appreciate it. My 10 month old is starting to get into everything, and we need a solution for our bedside guns. We both have a pistol on our end table next to the bed, but up until now there is no form of security. I have seen those biometric safes and have considered them, but would really like something that I could get to even quicker. We have a small house, and it wouldn't take long to get to our bedroom from any of the entry doors.

So do any of you have a more creative way of storing your bedside guns? Or am I just over-thinking this, and I need to get a little biometric safe and be done with it?
    Well, you probably are over-thinking it :)

If it stays in the bedroom during the day (i.e. it's not your EDC that will go with you when you leave the bedroom/house), then simply remove it to a more secure location for the daytime hours. If it is not your EDC, then keeping it secured in a lockable container during the day renders the speedy access issue moot. If it is your EDC, then it would be with you during the day making daytime storage a non-issue as well. And unless he is escaping the crib, there is little reason to lock it up at night. You could also lock the door to the bedroom as an added level of security.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    When my kids were little I kept a Rem 1100 by my bed. Nothing chambered, but mag full.
    The bolt handle was removed and kept on the armoire. Had the safety on too.

I bet they as adults still couldn't get that rig operational LOL.

Was easy for me, even in the dark, took only seconds.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I sleep with mine holstered, on my hip.

I had heard that Fruit of the Loom had bought both Thunderware and Don Hume holsters and were going to be coming out with leather underwear that lets you pack more than one piece. How do you like them?

My youngest is 17 and keeps a Mossberg 500 under his bed, so I don't have the same concern the OP does. But, I'm probably just a few years short of my oldest bringing rug rats home and will need to secure things by that time. Back when my kids were younger, I'd keep everything locked at night and would keep my nightstand lockbox key on my car key chain. At night, I'd put the lockbox key into the tumbler so if I needed to react, I could do so without fumbling around for the right key. Now days, I just attach a light to my EDC and leave it on the top of the nightstand where I can see the night sights.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Bedside pistol safe for each of us. Wife's gun is always in the safe. My carry gun is in the safe when not on me. Simply open the safe at night and either close it or put the gun on in the morning. Recently I am leaving the safe closed because my daughter is mobile. I don't worry about the boy he is old enough to know better.

Another thing ink to consider is hardening your exterior doors in your small house.

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    Those of you who use an open safe at night and close it in the morning, how old are your kids? That should work now, but what about when they are old enough to walk but not old enough to know what to keep their hands off of? I'd be concerned of a child waking up and coming in your room while you are sleeping, only to get curious.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    All depends on your household rules.

My daughter is 4. She knows not to roam the house at night. She asks permission to enter our bedroom (knocks, says hello or good morning). She knows to stay out of pretty much EVERYTHING in the master bedroom. We also have safety (gun, knife, fireplace, kitchen, etc..) conversations and "exercises".

So, teach 'em right. Lock boxes are a small part of the equation.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My night stand gun is my EDC now. It is in the night stand by my head at night. With the G-kids running amok in the daytime it is on my hip or way the heck up out of reach in a safe place. It would require Everest level climbing gear for a child to get it.

shootamc58

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 28, 2012
    noblesville
    Bio metric safe within arms length. I can open it in under 5 seconds. It actually takes longer to get it out of the drawer as I have tried. I just can't have something unsecured around the kids.

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    All depends on your household rules.

My daughter is 4. She knows not to roam the house at night. She asks permission to enter our bedroom (knocks, says hello or good morning). She knows to stay out of pretty much EVERYTHING in the master bedroom. We also have safety (gun, knife, fireplace, kitchen, etc..) conversations and "exercises".

So, teach 'em right. Lock boxes are a small part of the equation.

How long has she been trusted to not enter unless asking?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    As soon as she started wanted to come to our room (which is upstairs), we taught her to knock/ask. I cannot think of a time she has NOT, and I cannot think of a time she has gone upstairs w/o us knowing.

Is it a possibility? Sure. Which is why there really isn't a whole lot of trouble she can get into if she DOES go upstairs.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Srepa attached to bed rail, perfect draw while lying down. On my hip morning til night.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    When I had little ones at home, I switched out my revolvers, for semi auto..... Chamber empty,full mag insert. Condition 3 if you will ..... Tested the children on if they could rack the slide..... as long as they could not rack ..... NO PROBLEM !!!!! When they \were old enough to rack, they had enough "training", that it did not matter .....

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    I sleep with mine holstered, on my hip.

Yep......the only time I take it off my person is when I am changing or in the shower, or doing other things in a bathroom. It is never further than an arms length away while in my home. At times it will be locked in the vehicle in a locked compartment.

Top Bottom