How easily accessible should your Back Up Gun be?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rp8

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2012
    Highland, Indiana
    This is a topic I'm really passionate about as an Leo. I believe one of the biggest considerations should be accessibility to your weak hand. In a worst case scenario on my back and I've rolled on my gun to protect it from being taken can I get to my back up with my weak hand? I carried in an ankle holster for a while and the answer was no to this question. My solution has been weak side cargo pocket carry. It allows for a decent sized gun to be easily concealed and still has a fairly quick draw

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Galco makes a thigh holster for dudes. I guess it would work in the summer.

galco-thigh-band-659.jpg

Other than the polar opposite reaction for those of us forced to view the holstering or unholstering, what's the difference between one made for men and one made for women?

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    I actually have that as a part of my strategy... I rip my shorts leg up, expose my thigh, temporarily blinding the assailant.

output

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 13, 2014
    NW Indiana
    I appendix carry my primary. If and when I carry a BUG it is on the ankle or 5 O'clock position. If I carry on the ankle it's a sub compact and if it is at the 5 O'clock position it is a smaller pistol like the cm9 or shield. I don't give it much thought. If for someone reason my primary goes down I know I will at least have a backup which is all that really matters to me. YMMV ;)

This is a topic I'm really passionate about as an Leo. I believe one of the biggest considerations should be accessibility to your weak hand. In a worst case scenario on my back and I've rolled on my gun to protect it from being taken can I get to my back up with my weak hand? I carried in an ankle holster for a while and the answer was no to this question. My solution has been weak side cargo pocket carry. It allows for a decent sized gun to be easily concealed and still has a fairly quick draw

That is interesting. Have you rolled on the ground with anyone though? Unless your legs are perfectly straight, it is going to be extremely difficult to get a gun out of your cargo pocket...especially if it has moved around and it is not in the position you want it to be in when you try to grab it out. I have taken a few knife fighting classes, cargo pockets are not easily accessible once you are on the ground and rolling with someone, let alone when you are on the ground and someone has taken your backside. If you are a LEO you might try another carry position. Try rolling with your partner or another officer. Just my humble opinion. Thanks for your service.

Last edited:

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I appendix carry my primary. If and when I carry a BUG it is on the ankle or 5 O'clock position. If I carry on the ankle it's a sub compact and if it is at the 5 O'clock position it is a smaller pistol like the cm9 or shield. I don't give it much thought. If for someone reason my primary goes down I know I will at least have a backup which is all that really matters to me. YMMV ;)

That is interesting. Have you rolled on the ground with anyone though? Unless your legs are perfectly straight, it is going to be extremely difficult to get a gun out of your cargo pocket...especially if it has moved around and it is not in the position you want it to be in when you try to grab it out. I have taken a few knife fighting classes, cargo pockets are not easily accessible once you are on the ground and rolling with someone, let alone when you are on the ground and someone has taken your backside. If you are a LEO you might try another carry position. Try rolling with your partner or another officer. Just my humble opinion. Thanks for your service.

I don't have cargo pockets.

Top Bottom