• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I've been hunting with a modern muzzle loader for more than 20 years, but never really considered this question until now.
    I'm thinking about a modern, in-line .50cal loaded with something like Power Belt bullets and a 100gr charge of Pyrodex or Triple 777 pellets and 209 primers.

The reason for my inquiry arose when I Googled IMR White Hots. I've used them for a while, but I'm having difficulties finding them now, locally anyway.
    I digress. The IMR White Hots advertisement says they are the fastest, sending a .50cal bullet up to 2300fps.
    That's quite a bit faster than I would have guessed.

So, since I don't have a chronograph, I'm asking Ingo. Can anyone tell me about how fast your average .50cal front-stuffer spits out a bullet?

Just curious. :popcorn:

devious169

Sharpshooter
    Nov 22, 2011
    Earth and you?
    I'm currently shooting a knight mountaineer, 110 grains of blackhorn powder (max charge), Barnes 250 grain expander mz bullets, mmp#25 Sabots and cci 209 shots hell primers. Last year we were out at a quarry after hunting and shooting various distances. I hit a empty antifreeze jug at 385 yds. My personal best with a muzzle loader! Longest kill with it was 210 yards and dropped him dead in his tracks.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Jan 19, 2009
    British soldiers were taught to load and fire 3 shots a minute from a 75 caliber Brown Bess...sorry, I thought we were talking rate of fire.:)

djones

Sharpshooter
    Jan 4, 2011
    Greenfield
    I shoot a 50 cal 325 Lee real pure lead bullet over 85 grains of goex. I can never get them to chronograph and have tried on multiple occasions. I guess it is all of the Flames smoke lube fouling and other debris that gives me the errors.

Funny thing is no matter how fast it is going it always kills! Good luck on your search.

vernw

Plinker
    Sep 8, 2015
    Dallas now born Indy
    I used to get 2025 out of an Encore 50 with three 777 pellets (150 gr) and a 300 gr XTP before going exclusively centerfire. ML's were just too much trouble IMO. Kicked like a dayum mule, too LOL

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I used to get 2025 out of an Encore 50 with three 777 pellets (150 gr) and a 300 gr XTP before going exclusively centerfire. ML's were just too much trouble IMO. Kicked like a dayum mule, too LOL

I use 3 Triple Seven pellets behind a Hornady or TC 250gr sabot-ed polymer tipped bullet. Maybe I need to run one across the chrono? Or maybe just look it up?
    It shoots pretty well and certainly hits hard.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    My T/C Encore Pro-Hunter owner's manual specifies a speed of 1661 fps using a 350 grain conical lead bullet with maximum load of 150 grains FFG black powder, or 1891 fps using max load of three pyrodex pellets.

AA&E

Master
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    I shoot a 50 cal 325 Lee real pure lead bullet over 85 grains of goex. I can never get them to chronograph and have tried on multiple occasions. I guess it is all of the Flames smoke lube fouling and other debris that gives me the errors.

Funny thing is no matter how fast it is going it always kills! Good luck on your search.

How far away from the muzzle have you tried placing your chronograph? I've had the same issues as you when trying to get muzzle velocity readings, but if you back off to 25 or 30 yards you can usually get readings without issue.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    May 15, 2013
    I destroyed my chronograph with my muzzleloader.

You and my kid brother would get along, he scores a direct hit on one every three years or so. I tell him Billy your not playing Battleship...
    And then he reminds me that............ Never mind..

Top Bottom