How I spent my Friday night... PSA Build!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dpzj96

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    ECI
    I got home on Thursday only to find the dreaded sticky that UPS had come and gone, so that meant I had to wait until Friday for my PSA lower build kit to get here. Anyhoo, yesterday my wife called me just to tell me that the UPS guy just left and my parts where in! (She knew how excited I was about this so big +1 to her haha)

I have been doing my research and reading online for about the past year. I don't know how many times in the last week I have watched build videos on youtube just to familiarize myself with the parts.

After only about an hour (and I'm not counting to hour it took me to find the buffer retainer after it went flying, but that's another story haha), I had this puppy whipped out. Went together rather smoothly I'd say given this was my first time ever building a lower.

Here she is:

PhotoJan21121656AM.jpg

PhotoJan21102647AM.jpg

PhotoJan21122007AM.jpg

:rockwoot::D:)::) :ingo::patriot: :ar15:

I feel like a proud papa. All I know is that I am hooked and I cannot wait to order my upper. I definitely want a midlength upper with MOE handgaurds to match the rest of my furniture. Can't wait to order again with PSA. Still trying to decide whether I want 16" or 14.7".

Even with only one build under my belt, I feel totally comfortable in my ability and see myself doing this again, and again, and again, and again... Maybe a pistol/sbr? I'm looking forward for PSA's next $49 lower sale!

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Looks great. I'm waiting for their next sale as well. I'm starting to get the .300blk bug and maybe the .458 socom. and want some "multi" marked lowers.

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    Although I usually put function first and foremost, I must admit, the PSA buffer, being black, with the crossed swords logo, has a certain cool factor to it.

PSA is the only one I've found to offer the mock-mid dissy upper. It's exactly what I'm after, I just am hesitant to order yet, because I'm sure it will go on sale immediately after I do.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Just as an FYI. If UPS or FedEx are delivering stuff to you that requires a signature, you can leave a note with a handwritten signature authorizing them to leave the package. I do this for anything that requires a signature that isn't high-dollar stuff.

dubsac

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Nice build & its good to see a reds fan in muncie, when i lived there it seemed there was only cubs fans. GO REDS..................

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Very nice. I just got the PSA Build kit to go with my stripped lower. Going to put it together this weekend or next. Congrats!!!

JoP

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Bluffton, IN
    Nice build. I'm getting the itch to give my first one a try (never owned an "evil black rifle" before). Been pricing stripped lowers online, but want to check out what 21st Century stocks locally. Shipping and FFL transfer eat up a lot of online savings and I'm not a patient man (now if I can just convince the wife that the whole thing is a good idea).

Which of the PSA parts kits did you get? Is that the MOE Plus LPK?

RGriff69

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 24, 2010
    Nice build. I have everything ordered to do another build except a stripped lower. Guess I'll be on the lookout for one.

dpzj96

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    ECI
    Nice build. I'm getting the itch to give my first one a try (never owned an "evil black rifle" before). Been pricing stripped lowers online, but want to check out what 21st Century stocks locally. Shipping and FFL transfer eat up a lot of online savings and I'm not a patient man (now if I can just convince the wife that the whole thing is a good idea).

Which of the PSA parts kits did you get? Is that the MOE Plus LPK?

Here's the kit that I ordered:

MOE Lower Build Kit - Lower Parts - AR-15

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Just as an FYI. If UPS or FedEx are delivering stuff to you that requires a signature, you can leave a note with a handwritten signature authorizing them to leave the package. I do this for anything that requires a signature that isn't high-dollar stuff.

Not always... Sometimes its marked as Adult Signature or Signature at time of Delivery.

Nice build by the way :rockwoot:

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    What do you guys think of the complete PSA kits?

Rifle Kits - AR-15

I think you might be able to save a few bucks by buying the lower build kit, and the complete upper, separately.

Conventional wisdom tells me the kit option should be cheaper, but I priced one out, and buying them separately got me the same components, and saved $15.

Unless I missed something :dunno:

Quality-wise, a lot of people have ordered them, and what little feedback I've heard is all positive.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I think you might be able to save a few bucks by buying the lower build kit, and the complete upper, separately.

Conventional wisdom tells me the kit option should be cheaper, but I priced one out, and buying them separately got me the same components, and saved $15.

Unless I missed something :dunno:

Quality-wise, a lot of people have ordered them, and what little feedback I've heard is all positive.

Did that include the Bolt Carrier Group?

some of the Uppers on PSA's website doesn't include the BCG anymore.

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    Did that include the Bolt Carrier Group?

some of the Uppers on PSA's website doesn't include the BCG anymore.

ahh, that's it!!! The BCG/CH is a $15 option.

Go check out the 16" CHF Mid-Length Mock Dissipator MOE kit, vs. buying the complete upper + MOE lower build kit.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Last edited:

JoP

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Bluffton, IN

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Maybe a stupid question - does the dissipator upper + MOE lower build kit separate include the stripped lower? I don't see it on the parts list.

No... you have to have the stripped lower already. Those two options are all the parts you need to turn a stripped lower into a complete rifle.

If you don't have one yet, you'll need one of those too (its not included in the rifle kit either)

JoP

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Bluffton, IN
    No... you have to have the stripped lower already. Those two options are all the parts you need to turn a stripped lower into a complete rifle.

If you don't have one yet, you'll need one of those too (its not included in the rifle kit either)

Well, isn't that just a kick in the bells. Good thing I looked more closely before I got to ordering anything. Not sure that kit makes me want to order the whole thing from PSA. Still really like their uppers though compared to the other budget items I've been looking at.

Top Bottom