• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • originalhonkey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    greenwood
    just one way i store cans.ok i dont usualy show my stuff but ive seen some people asking some ? about how to store food. this is one way i do my cans. easy to make it takes no room and holds over 300 cans. it only sticks out 4 1/2" at the top and 6 1/2" at the bottom. it screws to the wall so it wont fall and its easy to rotate out your cans. i do this because shelves take up to much space and when you rotate cans that are stacked on shelves it sucks cuz they always fall and you have to keep up with wich is the oldest and such. this made it simple for me put the oldest in first so there at the bottom and stack the news in as you go. when you get home from the store drop in the new and take the old from the bottom for your kitchen.sorry for the crappy pic but its just to show what it looks like and the rest of the stuff in this area im not going to share in this pic.:p i hope this helps oh 300 cans is what this one holds only because of the size i made this one and the types of cans i set this one up for size and product determin the can count. any hoooooooooooooo thought id share hope it helps

another thing you cant see is that it angles down in the back. this is under a set of stairs so the first 6 or so rows you can see hold lets say 20 cans the last 6 row. on the angle hold 2 less per row. just thought i would let you know incase some have the same kinda room.
    015.jpg

Last edited:

keith2210

Plinker
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    That's a great idea and a nice set up you have there! Thanks for posting. Its definately giving me some ideas and others im sure.

bytecafe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I love this post and the picture. If you were to make another one what features might you add to make it better? Maybe smaller/bigger, clear front (or would that allow you to rob something in the middle, like the Cracker Jack's prize).

I'm interested in making this, so any input would be helpful.

jbhummer2

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    north central IN
    Very nice I was thinking how to do something like this. I have one question. When you are filling it for the first time how do you prevent the cans from falling and hitting each other. I really do like the plan and will probably do something very similar. Thanks for showing!

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    jbhummer

"""Very nice I was thinking how to do something like this. I have one question. When you are filling it for the first time how do you prevent the cans from falling and hitting each other. I really do like the plan and will probably do something very similar. Thanks for showing!"""""

i am not the original poster but if i had to guess i would say for the first cans he loads from the bottom buy just pushing them up until they are high enough he can set the last few cans in from the top with out dropping them down.

Farmritch

Expert
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    OC
    Only change I'd make would be even if I had clear on front would be route out a channel in the center of each column to help move a can or check stock.
    Gives me all kinds of ideas.
    Thanks for sharing

originalhonkey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    greenwood
    if i were to change that one i would have made a channel in the center of each column. it was a an after thought and not that big of a deal but will be in all the next ones i build. the only reason i did not use a clear front was $. it only cost $40ish to make this one and it would have been $130 ish to do the clear. the way i loaded it the first time was from the bottom but then my wife said to use a scarf and as dumb as it sounds it work the best.after its full its easy to just drop them in. i dont just drop them if its more than 6 short from the top.(no dents that way) the other reason ididnt do the clear front is im going to paint it to match the wall that way at a glance it not as in your face.that being said clear would be a bonus for seeing what you need to restock! the next one im working on is a double its the same set up just two thick when its done ill post a pick. and yes sams :yesway: gota love sams :D.

i made this with
    2 sheets of plywood $10 a sheet
    8 1x4x8 $1.70 a piece
    1 1x6x8 $2.00
    1 box of screws $4.50
    at the end i only had two 4" rips of plywood and 1 13" 1x4 and 1 6inch 1x6as scrap.

just lower it down and pull out the scarf not the slickest way but it works if you dont rout out the center;) stackin two or three at a time makes it faster!
    002.jpg

Last edited:

92FS

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Phoenix
    It would seem to me if you had an interior wall with completely empty stud cavities you could install this right inside the wall and save even more space. Depending on the can size you should be able to get 3 columns of small cans between a standard 16" on center 2x4 stud wall. For larger cans you might need a 2x6 wall and might only get a couple columns between studs. Just a thought if you were framing up a storage room you could build this right into it.

Top Bottom