How long before things go south if the SHTF?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    Also not likely a universal assessment of your local LE
    Absolutely! It does give a sense of the leadership's priorities and probable approach to difficult decisions. That is why I also have engaged with those LEO who physically live near me. We were on the same wave length, and had similar priorities regarding family.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Also not likely a universal assessment of your local LE. In my experience there are a lot of constitutionally conscious coppers in my area but there are also several that I believe are here for a pay check and a cool ride and they blend in well.

I was talking with some folks in a patreon group a while back when everyone was walking off the job in Atlanta and someone posed the question of "when you do know its time to walk away and take care of your family". I suspect that it all depends on your area but hopefully if everything falls apart and the feds come in with their questionable enforcement directives that there are less of those "order followers" that stick around than there are good guys willing to give the finger. The issue is going to be that those that aren't going to violate your rights also probably cant stick around to help because they are going to get the boot when they give the finger to the overlords. If that happens I think youll see alot of local LE city/county disperse to take care of their own which id rather see that than have them on the other side.
    Other than a handful of county sheriffs that have publicly refused to enforce 2a infringements what other examples are there out there of cops not following orders to break the constitution? Did any refuse to enforce unconstitutional covid measures?

Tomahawkman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 7, 2014
    Hamilton County
    Other than a handful of county sheriffs that have publicly refused to enforce 2a infringements what other examples are there out there of cops not following orders to break the constitution? Did any refuse to enforce unconstitutional covid measures?

In my area yes, the sheriff publicly spoke out against the state law put in place during covid making it a crime to be out in public during lockdowns. That whole thing got shot down pretty quick state wide too.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    A lot of what I’m reading in this thread is addressed by the authors of A Failure of Civility.

Whether or not they have it right is another matter, though. They are strong advocates of forming a neighborhood protection plan by getting to know your neighbors and leveraging strength in numbers.

The authors believe a low rise residential neighborhood is actually the best place in a failure of civility. The authors also contend an isolated farm, or a ranch would be the worst place to defend in a true long-term SHTF situation.

This is an interesting read, and I may put some of what they theorize to the test when it comes to starting an NPP.

Last edited:

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    The authors believe a low rise residential neighborhood is actually the best place in a failure of civility. The others also contend an isolated farm, or a ranch would be the worst place to defend in a true long-term SHTF situation.

This is an interesting read, and I may put some of what they theorize to the test when it comes to starting an NPP.

I'd be hard-pressed to believe a suburban neighborhood would be a better place to be if SHTF than a rural area... you still have neighbors in a rural area and they are more likely like-minded than those on a 1/5 acre lot in a typical suburb of Indy...

Let city water and sewer stop and it'll get ugly quick.

My septic will work just fine and as long as I have a bit of fuel, my generator will run the well pump. And if not, Life Straws to use in my creek or private lake are a good backup source for drinking water...

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I'd be hard-pressed to believe a suburban neighborhood would be a better place to be if SHTF than a rural area... you still have neighbors in a rural area and they are more likely like-minded than those on a 1/5 acre lot in a typical suburb of Indy...

Let city water and sewer stop and it'll get ugly quick.

My septic will work just fine and as long as I have a bit of fuel, my generator will run the well pump. And if not, Life Straws to use in my creek or private lake are a good backup source for drinking water...
    Its a tough thing to protect a rural property unless you have the manpower to do so. I can't protect my farm by myself or even with another person. But I can protect myself better in a small home in town by myself. Now I;m still going to go to the farm if everything shuts down.
    I will do what I need to do.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Its a tough thing to protect a rural property unless you have the manpower to do so. I can't protect my farm by myself or even with another person. But I can protect myself better in a small home in town by myself. Now I;m still going to go to the farm if everything shuts down.
    But depending on the situation less people are likely to test the farm. Just statistically speaking. The house maybe easier to defend but it will face more attempts.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

I think I've probably lived out in the country too long? I used to visit my father, in the big city of Farmland.

I'd holler at Dad "Someone's here dad!" He'd quickly scold me, "We live in town. Everyone you see walking around isn't here."

:)

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012

True, but there will not be swarms of people roaming around, miles off of the main road, in the woods....unlike suburbia where you have hundreds of houses in a small area. Cut city water and watch the ensuing panic...

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Hamilton County Sheriff's Office. Both proposed state law and county ordinance. Sheriff Quakenbush was also a huge part of the pro-constitutional carry testimony at the State House.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    But depending on the situation less people are likely to test the farm. Just statistically speaking. The house maybe easier to defend but it will face more attempts.
    The good part with the house is, The house has armed neighbors on four sides. It would be awhile before problems arrived at the farm. Help is at least a mile away if I'm lucky.
    Its almost a toss up for me.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    My neighbors across the way have a gadsden flag and an obnoxiously loud whole house generator. Neighbor across from them also have a loud generator that kicks on in any power outage. My old farm house is a shambles compared to these folks with much nicer stuff apparent. No vehicles set out at my place. You'd be hard pressed to ever tell if there is anyone home or not.

Marauders will have many miles to cover before they get out our way, so we'll know they are coming. 104 yards to one neighbors drive, 133 to the other, from the cover of my back porch.

;)
    Generators are a good idea, but would also draw attention....that is, if the lights went out....for the last time.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I was asked once about people sniping at me while outside so I looked around. No real good places where visibility doesn't get obstructed in a few yards so I figure there would be a zone at the woods edge where you could do this. The other issue would be logistic, those guys would be out there in the ticks or cold watching the house while I can stay inside for a long time.

I'm betting they would move on if they found me at all.

Top Bottom