• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    I used to shoot brass cased ammo and just left it whever it laid. It wasn't worth anything to me because I didn't reload. Now that I reload, I can't believe I just let all that stuff lay on the ground and walk away from it. I even second guess shooting sometimes depending on how easily ill be able to find my brass after I'm done. And when I do shoot, I spend more time looking for the cases than I did shooting. I can't stand walking off and knowing that there is a few pieces of well hidden brass in the yard or in the rocks.

How much time do you all spend looking for it once your done shooting?

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I used to shoot brass cased ammo and just left it whever it laid. It wasn't worth anything to me because I didn't reload. Now that I reload, I can't believe I just let all that stuff lay on the ground and walk away from it. I even second guess shooting sometimes depending on how easily ill be able to find my brass after I'm done. And when I do shoot, I spend more time looking for the cases than I did shooting. I can't stand walking off and knowing that there is a few pieces of well hidden brass in the yard or in the rocks.

That's my story too, I wish I had kept all of that brass I threw away.

I will spend prob 15 minutes searching for my brass. The membership at the range I shoot at isn't always good about picking up their brass. I always leave with more than I had when I arrived.

jay2981

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I shoot mostly at indoor ranges and if I place my bag just right the brass, for the most part, falls right in. What doesn't land in the bag I just spend a few seconds between mag loads to grab the stragglers.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy

If you are on private property, or at an outdoor range where it is possible, one of those cheap Harbor Freight blue tarps is you friend.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    If you are on private property, or at an outdoor range where it is possible, one of those cheap Harbor Freight blue tarps is you friend.

I don't to feel limited to one specific area. Almost all of my shooting is spontaneous, walking around on the farm and see that looks like it needs to be shot. Then I either don't shoot cause I probly won't find my brass, or I shoot and then wish I hadn't cause I can't find my brass.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    I don't to feel limited to one specific area. Almost all of my shooting is spontaneous, walking around on the farm and see that looks like it needs to be shot. Then I either don't shoot cause I probly won't find my brass, or I shoot and then wish I hadn't cause I can't find my brass.

Revolver maybe :dunno:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    With most used brass being worth about a nickle, how many pieces would you have to recover to break even with the cost of a metal detector? Plus you still have to provide batteries and carry it around. I like wolfman's suggestion of a tarp. I have had pretty good luck with that while stationary. Of course a revolver is the easiest way to retain your brass.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I shoot mostly on my own range so if it's common brass I spend a few minutes because I know I will see it eventually. I have older, many times reloaded brass that I use for when I am out on the property or at another range that if I don't get back it doesn't bother me. If it's uncommon brass I will spend more time looking for it.

flashpuppy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    NWI, Lowell
    Depends which brass for me. .40? A couple seconds, if it's gone it's gone and I aint gonna fret. My super precision .308 or one of my homemade wildcat chamberings? I got a hand over the bolt so it doesn't even touch the ground!

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Was at the range the other day (man was it hot). I shot maybe 100 rounds of 9mm, and ended up collecting over 300 empty cases of 9mm and several dozen 40 and 45 too.

Cheered me up after some crappy groupings.

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    Right here.

I don't spend any time at all looking for mine it is all right here. Sweep it into a dustpan and pour it in the bag. Done.:)

MCFampG06-13-2012002_zps28e5f50a.jpg

Bsubtown

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 19, 2013
    Dekalb county
    I started reloading recently and put down a tarp. It did not catch all of the brass. I found 136 of 145 immediately. Spent 15 minutes to find four more and lost the rest. Mad I didn't find more. More mad I spent any amount of time looking for 1.00$ in brass.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I spend about 15 minutes if I have the time. I really need to take the tarp I carry in my trunk and spread it out when I shoot.:)

nascarfantoo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Western IN
    Cheap tarp and I probably find 95% of mine. I enjoy going to our range early in AM and pick up everyone's brass. Relaxing while the sun comes up. One of these days I will begin reloading, but for now I just collect.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Cheap tarp and I probably find 95% of mine. I enjoy going to our range early in AM and pick up everyone's brass. Relaxing while the sun comes up. One of these days I will begin reloading, but for now I just collect.

I did the same. It was nice to already have brass once I got set up.

Top Bottom