• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Muzzleloaderbill

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Ligonier
    Was wondering how many flew the american flag. Do you fly it every day or just on a holiday? I don't fly it every day. No flag pole yet. But aways on holidays. I will also put it out next Sunday for 9/11. Just wondering.:patriot:

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    she flies 24/7 with a state flag below her. she has a light for the nights. and is only take down during severe weather so I don't break the poll and to extend the life of the flags.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    24, 7, 365

flags.jpg

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    I've had a flag attached to my front door since 9/11/01.
    Under the flag is that date, and the phrase;
    "God Bless America"
    That flag will continue to be posted there as long as I'm alive!!

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    I have a typical wall mounted angled pole out front on the garage with a 3x5 flag and a 14 foot wooden flagpole with full rigging in back with a 3x5 flag.

I am planning on replacing the garage pole with a 18 ft aluminum flag pole starting on Sept. 11. It will have a 4x6 flag. The garage mount will stay and I will fly the Gadsden on occasions.

ZWolf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    She flies 24/7 on the flagpole in the front yard, except for during inclement weather.

Question: A vet' once told me that a streetlight nearby would be sufficient lighting, is this true or is a dedicated spotlight necessary?

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I do fly my flag but not as much as I would like to. I'd love to have a large proper flagpole in the yard with lighting so I could get a nice all weather flag. My next home will have one for sure. Seeing flags displayed improperly or in poor condition is one of my big pet peeves in life.

Taylorz71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Central IN
    Everyday, although I haven't always wanted at times over the last few years. I still love this country and everything that was gained in 1776. Just an angled pole off the front of my house here in my burb house. I pray, fly and flag and own a gun... yikes better get me on a list or something.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    She flies 24/7 on the flagpole in the front yard, except for during inclement weather.

Question: A vet' once told me that a streetlight nearby would be sufficient lighting, is this true or is a dedicated spotlight necessary?

I believe any light source that makes the flag visible at night is technically within protocol, but IMO a dedicated light source would be more respectful. :twocents:

From the U.S. Flag code:
    As a matter of custom, and without specific statutory or official authorization,
    the flag is flown at night at many other sites, including the United States Capitol. It
    would seem that display of the flag in a respectful manner with appropriate lighting
    does not violate the spirit of the Flag Code since the dignity accorded to the flag is
    preserved by lighting that prevents its being enveloped in darkness.
    http://www.senate.gov/reference/resources/pdf/RL30243.pdf

Last edited:

ZWolf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    I believe any light source that makes the flag visible at night is technically within protocol, but IMO a dedicated light source would be more respectful. :twocents:

From the U.S. Flag code:
    http://www.senate.gov/reference/resources/pdf/RL30243.pdf

Thanks. I'll probably look into getting a little spotlight put up before 9/11 to be, as you said, more respectful. What the flag stands for, and all those who gave their lives defending it are worthy of great respect IMHO.

All that my copy of "Flag of the United States-The Living Symbol of our Great Republc" says about lighting is "However, when a patriotic effect is desired, the flag may be displayed 24 hours a day if properly illuminated during the night hours". It's always good to get a second opinion.

Top Bottom