• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Just curious...

During some recent issues I had with one of my M&P pistols (completely my fault, I lost a spring), I learned that there are two different sear-block "generations" in the M&P pistols.

It just so happens that both of mine are "older" with a much smaller diameter sear spring and plunger (sits under the sear). Evidently newer ones have a larger diameter spring & plunger.

I also just noticed last night that the factory sights are different on my pistols.

The older of the two has a "ledge" in the rear sight to facilitate one-handed charging of the gun should it be necessary. The newer gun has a ramped "Novak" style rear sight.

Both guns are no-thumb safety and no-mag safety model 9mm pistols with standard factory sights.

So, what gives with the sight differences? :dunno:

-J-

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Hmm, good question. Just looked at ours, my 45 has the ramped rear sight with white dots. Her 9mm has a dawson rear sight that has the ledge you are talking about. It is also just a blacked out flat rear sight with notch. I have no idea but neat.

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    The current guns come with the ledge in the rear sight while the older guns have the Novak sights. The larger sear plunger is to help with the dead trigger issue found with some guns using the older smaller plunger. The new guns also use a coil extractor pin in place of the solid one in the older pistols. Newer magazines have a square takedown button on the mag base while the older ones are round. I'm sure there are other changes but those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Top Bottom