How many LTCH holders have had to USE their firearm in defense?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    A couple months back in the summer, I had an altercation occur, at the Rickers gas station in Muncie on McGalliard road. My girlfriend and I had stopped to get some gas for my car before going back to my house it was around 10:30 p.m. As we were walking towards the staition to pay for the gas, I could see a man in around his early 50's with a black gym bag watching us walk into the store.

As we were coming back to my car and getting in, before I even had a chance to shut my door, he rushed up to my side and began to talk to me. My girlfriend had already became visibly nervous, as he sounded as if he was on speed, and began to talk about coming from a "Perfume convention/show" and had all these different perfumes and colognes he had left for sale, after the shows end. I told him right away, I wasn't interested and didn't have money to buy any.

I really did have money on me, but I knew this guy was trying to hustle me. Instead of walking away, he persisted that I take a look and handed me a wallet sized laminated card with a list of different colognes, and told me he would sell them to me at half price of what they were worth.

Some $20, some $50, to $100 ect. I again informed him I didn't have any money. All the while trying to be polite. By this time however he had a bottle in his hand to show me, I raised my voice for him to back away from my car and to walk away.

After that, he visibly showed that he was annoyed and said for me to reconsider, and began to reach inside his bag. I then pulled my Beretta 92FS and ordered him to back away from my car and that I was going to call the police. His eyes got wide and he backed away not saying a word. I shut my door, locked it, drove off, and began to call in what had happened.

That is the only time, I have ever had to actually pull out a weapon. I am just glad it didn't get any worse.

Will0369

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Westfield
    Drew down on two guys at 86th and Michigan about 3 years ago, coming out to my car, at the time I was driving a Demo, (a company car for a car salesman), it was a 2006 300c, two guys approached me, in between me and my vehicle, and asked me if it was mine, when i said yes they told me I could give them the keys, because it was adealers car and not mine. Long story short, my 1911 came out and they not only ran but tripped over each other on the way

Big Mac 1911

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    New Castle, IN
    What do you do in this case????

I have been reading this thread and I find a lot of this very interesting. I see people talking about coming out of the movies or being out at night and possibly having to draw their weapon or at least show it. First let me say, I was not in any harm, nor was I carrying - We went to the Purdue / Ball State B-Ball game a month or so ago at Conseco and had to park what seemed to be forever away from the field house. Needless to say, walking back to the car after it was over and going under the overpasses and around the blind corners was really starting to worry me. It's just an observation on my part, because even if I had a weapon, I knew I couldn't take it into the arena, nor would I have tried. Just seems like there are more of those times than I like to have, especially when going to ball games downtown or anywhere else for that matter. ;)

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I have been reading this thread and I find a lot of this very interesting. I see people talking about coming out of the movies or being out at night and possibly having to draw their weapon or at least show it. First let me say, I was not in any harm, nor was I carrying - We went to the Purdue / Ball State B-Ball game a month or so ago at Conseco and had to park what seemed to be forever away from the field house. Needless to say, walking back to the car after it was over and going under the overpasses and around the blind corners was really starting to worry me. It's just an observation on my part, because even if I had a weapon, I knew I couldn't take it into the arena, nor would I have tried. Just seems like there are more of those times than I like to have, especially when going to ball games downtown or anywhere else for that matter. ;)

Just so that you know, it's perfectly LEGAL to carry into Conseco Field House. It is, however, against their RULES. If you're found out, you'd be denied entry and/or asked to leave once you're already in. This is one of the reasons that I plan on getting an ankle holster for my J-frame. No one EVER wands ankles. Ever.

As to the question posed by the OP:

A couple of years ago, I thought I was going to have to shoot a dog. I had unholstered my pistol and was at low-ready, finger indexed on the frame. Thankfully, as my fiance and I backed out of the dog's way, it lost interest in us and continued to where it wanted to go.

As many have said, I hope that I'm never ever ever EVER forced to use a firearm in the defense of myself, family, or someone at church.

-J-

patton487

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Sort of

About 12 years ago. Driving up to a bank ATM in Indy. Late afternoon, the bank was closed. The ATM was in back of the bank with a small parking lot surrounded by trees and bushes. Looking back on it, the area was well hidden from the the road. Anyway I pull up in my truck, and I instantly don't like what I see. A soccer mom in front of me at the ATM reaching out her window to get her cash, off to the right about 10 yards away 2 methhead looking white guys walking directly towards her at a quick pace. Not another soul in the parking lot or within site. They hesitated for a second when I pulled up behind the woman. I didn't wait to see what they were gonna do next. While I had their attention I took out my 9MM and slowly put it on my dash with my hand still on it where they could see it. It had the desired effect. Their eyes got as big as sewer lids and they turned on a dime and quickly walked away.
    Were they really bad guys getting ready to rob her? Guess I'll never know. But I never really pointed my gun at anyone either. LOL. Sorry so long

PS. funny thing was "soccer mom" was oblivious to any of it.

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    In 6 years of carrying, the only time I've ever cleared leather was on a pissed-off dog while I was taking a walk. I hope it stays this way! FYI, I didn't have to shoot the dog. Just thought I might.

Same here... on a walk and a pit bull dragging a chain and a chuck of pipe came at me while I was on a walk.

Militarypol21

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    I'd say I got mine due to peer pressure (which was a good thing). Plus I wanted to legally be able to carry to and from the range. One a side note, it's hard to legally justify the use of deadly force (using a handgun) in self defense outside your home or place of business if you don't have your LTCH.

"Like the saying goes, I would rather have it and not need it than to need it and not have it"

Not to thread jack... but I do believe there needs to be an "OTHER" option on the LTCH Application for those that wish to legally carry their guns on them for reasons other than personal protection.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    I'd say I got mine due to peer pressure (which was a good thing). Plus I wanted to legally be able to carry to and from the range. One a side note, it's hard to legally justify the use of deadly force (using a handgun) in self defense outside your home or place of business if you don't have your LTCH.

"Like the saying goes, I would rather have it and not need it than to need it and not have it"

Not to thread jack... but I do believe there needs to be an "OTHER" option on the LTCH Application for those that wish to legally carry their guns on them for reasons other than personal protection.

see indiana constitution.

you could get a target permit.. but then you can't carry it loaded..

Bucky623

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    This is a post I made in another thread.

Bucky

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ou_ever_needed_your_handgun-5.html#post238644
    I had an incident in my yard a few years ago involving a pit bull. Living out in the sticks of northern Indiana we get the occasional stray animal (I suspect most are dropped off). One afternoon I was outside and I saw a dog I didn’t recognize coming out of a field and head in the direction of the house so I went inside and grabbed a 9mm and stuck it in my back pocket and went back out to yell at the dog to “GET OUTTA HERE”. Most times that’s all it takes to send a stray on its way. Not so this time. The pit didn’t see me till I yelled. It came toward me at a run with its head down and emitting a low growl. I immediately went for the Smith 469 but before it cleared my pocket the dog had gotten to within about 10 feet from me and had circled around behind me. I faced him as he circled and fired as I raised the handgun hitting him in the chest at about 4 feet away. He bit at the hole in his chest and before he could turn back toward me he had a hole in his head.

Packs of dogs are sometimes a problem around here. Not sure why. Maybe some folks think their unwanted dog will live a happy life on a farm somewhere and all they have to do is drop it off on a back road out in the country.

I have since lost my that sweet compact 9mm to a little pi$$-ant neighbor kid who only did 18 months for stealing the 9 and a .357 as well as breaking into several other places. (can you tell it still irks me to think about it?)

slamer283

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    New Castle
    have not had to use my .45 yet. had someone try to beat my door down a while back. i laid on the floor in the kitchen waiting for the door to come down. they ran off. i hope i never have to use it. but i will if the time comes. no questions asked. you mess with my wife or my kids in a violent way. your dead.

H.T.

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Fishers -MSG 2
    I was getting gas one evening after pulling OT shift at the fire house. Two gentlemen of the Meth head perssuasion were starting to assault a young couple. I yelled at them and 1 turned my way. He walked toward me pointing at his friend and the young couple ranting about them doing somthing. His frined had struck the male once while he was walking toward me. He was about 15ft away at this point, I pulled back my coat and reached down to my 1911. His eyes got big and he turned yelling at his friend who looked back and saw me pulling my side arm. They ran around the back side of the gas station and sped off in a white pick up. I checked on the couple to make sure they were ok. Then got them into the station. While doign this I called control. To get a officer.
    I found out that the two up standing citizens had been doing meth for 2 days and had attacked 4 people. 1 they jumped out of there truck at a stop light and started smashing up the victems car with a bat and a pipe.
    Luckly it didn't take the Leo long to find the two probably less than an hr from when I confronted them at the gas station. Apparently people notice a white pick up at 11pm driving with no lights on.
    I heard that they were really "SHOCKED" when the Leos caught them. Yes it was very "SHOCKING" for them over and over again.
    My Brother had a guy pull a knife on him out side a Pizza hut on the north side..My brother pulled out his 1911. The guy with the knife didn't want to stick around.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I haven't had to use, but I did have a weird incident last week that left me feeling the comfort of being able to protect myself. I was close to my neighborhood where we currently have a lot of section 8 housing. I typically don't go that way to go 'in town', but this day kind of forced me to go by those apartments. As I came up to a turn lane at an intersection, I had to slow down because of a dude/thug walking in the street. I gave him plenty of room keeping my distance when he looked around and made eye contact. Obviously I didn't provoke him, but after about two more steps, he decided to quickly charge towards my car...not sure why he did that, I thought maybe he wanted me to hit him, thought of something he left at home (doubt it since he stayed his course afterwards), or he was trying to jump in my car, either way, he quickly backtracked when a cop happened to roll up to a stop in the lane next to me. Needless to say, I had my hand ready to draw if I had to...still wonder what he was up to. :dunno:
    Would have been funny if he tried something seconds before the cop pulled up.

Top Bottom