• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr.Hoppes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    New Goshen IN
    How many eggs does a chicken produce per week(or day)"? I'v thought about getting some.

Dad's next door with 250 cattle (easy shot from the front porch :) so we're good on meat! My neighbor feeds my deer for me in his fields too...

1 Egg a day, must have a rooster or one hen will stop laying and fill the role of the Roo. And they don't lay well when it's cold.

M88A1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Bedford
    We've had a dozen or so chickens for 3 yrs now and I'm no expert but we had a rooster and he was beating up the hens and getting agressive when we went to get eggs. He met Mr Stew pot and our egg production never slowed, they just arent fertilized. Cold doesnt bother them its the change in day light hours, we put lights inside our coop and did very well during the winter. We have moved up with 7 head of Dexter cattle and four turkeys. I plan on getting feeder hogs this spring and see how that goes. So far so good.

Apokalypsi

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Speedway
    Nothing yet. Getting possession of our first house within the month and plan on having 2 chickens come spring as per Avon city limitations. Once I get more land, I plan on raising goats, chickens, a hog or two, and maybe sheep for wool.

cerebus85

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Mar 5, 2012
    I know this might not be raising them per say...But I live in the city limits and found it very easy to buy one feeder hog outside the limits took it back and butchered it myself..a ton of frozen pork and fed everyone at work with the leftovers...it's cheap and economical for sure, and it is a great way to make those "ins" and contacts with others in the community.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I used to, but my work schedule precludes it now. Goats are mostly self-sufficient if you have enough room for them to forage. Chickens are pretty easy as long as you have anti-predator measures in effect. Hawks, foxes, wild dogs, etc. will snare adult chickens. Weasels and snakes will get after the eggs and chicks. Rabbits were easy to raise in cages.

I don't have any experience with bigger animals, but it seems like cows would take a lot of land and water, plus when you slaughter one you get a LOT of meat all at once so preservation would be more of a concern over smaller livestock.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    4th generation cattle farmer here, we currently have 9 cow/calf pairs and are raising the calves for freezer beef, would like to grow to about 20. We also have 9 very spoiled chickens that come to our back door for chicken treats.

stlaser

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 6, 2012
    We rescued 9 laying hens and a rooster plus received the coop in the deal about four months ago. As an added bonus there were 8 chicks two of which tunred out to be roosters as well.

marinemom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Columbus
    We raise chickens. It started out as a 4H project for the kids, but we are up to 20 layers and we butchered 20 meatbirds this summer. We live in a neighborhood butted up against a farm field, so no neighbor problems......wish we had more land. I would certainly do cattle or pigs. We butcher beef and pork with friends who have the processing stuff, but they buy it from other farmers. I would much rather it be our own!

Top Bottom