• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • terrythegamer

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 12, 2011
    Winchester,IN
    I want to start trying to reload and was wondering how much a set up would run. I also have a neighbor that offered to reload for me curious what does it usually cost to reload 12 gauge 9mm and 45 so i know what i could expect him to charge or if its even worth it

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Look at the prices at places like MidwayUSA, Titan Reloading, FS Reloading and anywhere else you see equipment prices and do the math. That's what your equipment costs will be. Now look at powder, primer & bullet prices. That is you component price. Now add the two together and you have hat it costs to get into reloading alone.

Bullets can be made less expensive by casting your own. Again it is a matter of what you are wanting to do. Lead is rather expensive now and shotshells aren't that hard to buy even with the freak out going on. So that is one I would leave alone for now at least.

9mm & 45... well if you go bare bones, you can get a Turret Press from Lee and two sets of dies, or buy a kit that starts you out with all the stuff you really should have since you will need a scale and such.

Lee Turret Kit is $219 plus shipping at Midway and two sets of dies run $40.99 each. Then components. CALL ANDREW@PROFIRE! He does classes and you can get all the info you need fro that plus training.

Is it worth it? YOU DECIDE. I don't have any trouble shooting and feeding my shooting habit these days. Do you? I can make all the ammo I need. I already have my brass & primers and bullets because I've been reloading for more than 30 year so I think it is worth it and has been for the whole times I have been shooting my ammo rather than my Dad's or needing him to buy it for me. I started to reload at 16 really but Pop did all the buying. Thirty four years later I am still using the same turret press and some of the dies as I bought a lot of new calibers along the way. I started out with the same two as you are wanting to do, .9mm Luger & .45 ACP. Dies are still making ammo to this day and long ago paid for themselves so many times over I am not sure I can calculate it.

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    A Lee Loader runs around $25.00
    A Dillon 1050 is getting close to $2000.00 these days.
    Most folks start somewhere in the middle.

Read the sticky up top here. Maybe check out some Youtube videos of the different presses to get an idea of how they work. Then take a look at some of the web sites out there. There's a bunch of suppliers....Google is your friend.
    Another thought would be pick up a manual. Lyman and Speer both have good "How To" sections, and will give you a good idea of what all is involved.
    Oh.....As an aside....the ATF takes a real dim view of people selling reloads without a FFL06.

dragun762

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2013
    If you go cheap like lee press and dies you can probably get started for a few hundred$ in equipment. a lee setup is like 125-150 on ebay, dies are about 75 per caliber.

seabassz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    Federal rep was in the other day and stated shotshells will see an increase of near 20% in the next 30 days. That much more reason to consider reloading if you have the time.

Also, you can reduce the cost of the shotshells by loading reclaimed shot. Used to be easy to find, but it's a fraction of new.

Mycroft

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis area
    The press is only part of the initial cost.
    I started reloading 5 years ago when you could still find good deals on eBay for used equipment. Today, you can usually purchase new for what stuff sells for on eBay.
    Profire is a great place to try out different types of presses and price components.
    Equipment: Reference books, press, dies, scale, calipers, case gauge (recommended), tumbler/vibratory bowl, bullet puller, and case trimmer (for rifles).
    Regardless of the type of equipment you settle on, the component prices will be the same.
    Brass: Brassmanbrass.com or TJConevera.com or pick up the brass at your local range for free if possible. You can purchase new brass, but I find it more economical to just buy the ammo and save the brass.
    Primers: Before the Madness (BTM) were priced between $25-$35/k (thousand). Today they may cost up to $80/k or more. If you purchase online, be aware that there is a HazMat fee (about $25 for shipment up to 50lbs) in addition to shipping & handling.
    Powder: Prices run from $18-$25/lb and you need to use a powder appropriate to the cartridge you're reloading. For online purchase, HazMat fee applies.
    Bullets: You can purchase jacketed, plated or cast lead. And you can buy premium bullets (Speer Gold Dot, Remington Golden Sabre, etc). Prices run from $0.06 - $0.40 per round. Or you can cast your own.
    Consumables: Tumble media and case lube (other?).

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Never shoot anybody's reloads rule number one. If you are not into reloading already I would hesitate to get into it at the moment. Things are hard to find and through the roof in price.

Shot shells are cheap and wouldnt worry about those unless you shoot a ton of them. I usually buy a bunch after dove season hits when the stores blow them out on sale.

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    You're best bet, Contact Andrew @ Profire and take his reloading class. That'll give you all the information you can handle for a cheap price. Better to spend 35 and decide if you want to continue rather than 4-5 hundred and still not know what you are doing or decide it's not for you.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    You picked a bad time to start reloading. Every thing is priced high and the parts to reload with are hard to come by and very costly. Primers are out of sight compared to what they were before all this stuff started. I have heard of people paying $60 for 1000 primers. You could get them for around $23 a 1000 less than a year ago.

I would say to hold off till this mess goes back to normal. Then ammo in general is very costly also and even harder to come by. I guess if you want to shoot you have no choice but to spend the money.

You can buy a Lee reloading kit for around $125. You will have to add dies to that. Say $40 for them. Now that will get you started. You will need some reloading books. They run from $20 on up. You will need at least two to check your loads in both books. Printers make mistakes. Check all loads with at least a second source.

There are some things that are in the Lee kit that I don't like. I don't like there scale. I picked up a RCBS 5-0-2. It cost $80. The other thing you will need is a case trimmer. The Lee trimer is made for a given caliber and there is no adjustment. It is very tiering on the fingers and hand. I used them for years. I picked up a Forster trimmer that looks like a little lath. It cost about $80 and it is great. The fingers and hands don't hurt after trimming 100 rounds using it. It is also much faster. That will take care of the 45 and 9mm plus any other brass case shell that you want to load in the future. You will just have to add a set of dies in the caliber that you need.

The 12 gage is a hole new set of tools. MEC is the standard for the reloading of shotgun shells. The 600 Jr Mark 5 cost $170. I use a Lee but then I don't load many shotgun shells. Mostly slugs. I think I paid around $60 for the Lee press. I bought it years ago.

Then you have to buy primers, bullets, brass, and powder. That is all questionable as far as price and where you will get them. Good luck with what ever you decide.

andrebr1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    In the same boat. . . just ordered press, die set(.357 mag), tumbler, manual along with most of the tooling needed to reload for my colt. Just started out with a Lee starter kit and going to build on it from there. Most of the items are on back order but regardless it's a start.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I dunno if this is a bad time to reload for the firet time at all. Is it harder to come by reloading stuff than ammo?

What you need to do is think about why you want to learn just now. If it is just to be able to make ammo for yourself until all of this never blows over, then it's probably not a good idea as reloading is not for short term savings. The initial outlay is large so it takes time to recoup your capital without considering the money paid for components.

If you want to learn to reload because it has been something on your mind for a while or because you are a person who wants to know all about shooting and make this a complete experience then now is as good as any to give it a go.

People keep thinking that things will slow up, then they go and empty a store of anything they even think might be needed sometime. Then hey come back to the forums and wonder where all the ammo and reloading stuff has gone. Really? You don't know where it's all gone?

This is as good a time to do anything, it is a really bad time to just flail about and buy stuff just in case.

Calmness and a little less impulsive buying is all it reaqlly will take to have this pass by.

Pharmacist

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    The bench is another expense. I would suggest buying something like a Black and Decker Workmate 225 and clamp on a 2x8 as the top. So even if you decide reloading isn't your your thing, you are only stuck with a 2x8, a few clamps, and something unbelievably handy to have around the house anyway.

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Can always save money reloading

I have found it easy to save at least 50% by reloading over what retail prices are for center fire ammo. Having the ability to roll your own during times like these is priceless. I am.loading my 45 acp for $3.50 a box of 50 with my own cast bullets. 9mm lead with purchased bullets about $7.00. You don't have to break the bank.to get started.

Top Bottom