How much rearward energy does .308 transfer through a 10" AR500 1/2" ringer?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    Long story short, My shootin buddy, who I share my private range with almost every weekend, came through with a 10" Ringer, of the 1/2", AR500 flavor. I wanted to make a minimalist mount, so one man could walk it out in the field 1-300 yards, and not come back too winded to spot for the shooter.

V1.5 has a light, hardened steel tube frame, 3/8 carriage bolts, with the un-threaded 2" following the head bent about 80 degrees, through 5 links of log chain, then the other end bolted to the ringer with 1/2" hardened bolts.
    My concern is that .308, (Mostly 168gr), will deliver enough rearward energy to tip the rig over backwards.
    The feet are currently 26" apart, (Front to back), with the ringer hanging about 8" off the ground, with a slight downward angled face, about 1" forward of the frame center

The intended design of the eye bolts having an inch for the chain to slide rearward and uphill, is to redirect energy downward, instead of rearward, keeping the feet in the dirt.
    If the carriage bolts fail, the game plan, as of now, is to buy 7/16" eye bolts, open them, insert chain, weld eye bolts closed, bolt to frame, then weld eye bolts to frame.

If she wants to go over backwards, I plan to put wheelie-bars on it, to move the center of gravity forward, and instead of wheels, to let it roll, rearward angled spikes, to prevent rearward motion.

:Safety note: I have one mile of field, a 17' elevated platform to shoot from, and permission from the field owners for targets and varmints. (Hopefully deer permission will soon follow!)

Here's some pics. What says INGO? Will she hold?

:ETA: YUP! THAT'S AN OLD PUSHMOWER HANDLE!

100_8548_zpsc5031a60.jpg
    100_8549_zpsc8caaf23.jpg
    100_8550_zps104d5b7f.jpg

Last edited:

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    I put this in long guns, more because it has to do with long gun ballistics than targets. Didn't want to put it in Bobcat's subforum, as it's not their steel, and I won't ask them about someone else's product! (Although, they are welcome to comment, if they'd like! :):)

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    I think it will hold up fine, my only suggestion would be replace the chain with pieces of tire, seat belt, or mule tape, after the chain breaks.

I've found that chain and cable usually only take one hit to be cut/broken, where the tire, seat belt, mule tape will take several hits before they break.

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    I think it will hold up fine, my only suggestion would be replace the chain with pieces of tire, seat belt, or mule tape, after the chain breaks.

I've found that chain and cable usually only take one hit to be cut/broken, where the tire, seat belt, mule tape will take several hits before they break.
    Lord knows I've got some tires laying around! Good to know! V2.0, here we come!
    Do you use pieces of sidewall, or chunks of tread, cut through the belts?

TheEngineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    Down South
    One suggestion, just as extra "no tippage" insurance...I would weld a piece of the rebar you used on the sides across the front so that it is touching the ground (adjust the height depending on if you are sticking the legs into the ground some). Then take some round bar (3/16" or so) and bend in into a U shape with around 12" legs...make a couple of these to use as "ground staples" and drive them into the ground, points towards the target, at around a 45deg angle

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    One suggestion, just as extra "no tippage" insurance...I would weld a piece of the rebar you used on the sides across the front so that it is touching the ground (adjust the height depending on if you are sticking the legs into the ground some). Then take some round bar (3/16" or so) and bend in into a U shape with around 12" legs...make a couple of these to use as "ground staples" and drive them into the ground, points towards the target, at around a 45deg angle
    I'm liking that idea! I imagine even plain old tent stakes, at the right angle would keep the nose down!

Top Bottom