• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • k1500

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2013
    West Lafayette
    I have a friend who is quite anti-gun. I constantly challenge his beliefs and often he cannot back-up his beliefs with any sold reasoning. He tends to believe "gun people" are just shooting off their guns like it is the wild west.

So, I posed this to him:

"In Indiana, there are 200,000 license holders. How many instances in a year do you read of a legal gun owner irresponsibly discharging his weapon?"

Now, I was in error on that number, it is really over 500,000. Anyway, he ever so confidently grabs his calculator like he is going to show me the "truth." I see him typing. He enters 10 (I suppose a good guess of the news articles in a year of ND).

So, 10 /200,000 = 0.0005 (now, using 500k, the number would be 0.0002)

He sees that number, mumbles "Oh, I guess that isn't much," and goes completely quiet. I just walk away.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I have a friend who is quite anti-gun. I constantly challenge his beliefs and often he cannot back-up his beliefs with any sold reasoning. He tends to believe "gun people" are just shooting off their guns like it is the wild west.

So, I posed this to him:

"In Indiana, there are 200,000 license holders. How many instances in a year do you read of a legal gun owner irresponsibly discharging his weapon?"

Now, I was in error on that number, it is really over 500,000. Anyway, he ever so confidently grabs his calculator like he is going to show me the "truth." I see him typing. He enters 10 (I suppose a good guess of the news articles in a year of ND).

So, 10 /200,000 = 0.0005 (now, using 500k, the number would be 0.0002)

He sees that number, mumbles "Oh, I guess that isn't much," and goes completely quiet. I just walk away.
    I've never actually heard of them doing the math but I wish more would. They MIGHT realize we're not a bunch of crazed shooting-in-the-air lunatics. Probably not though.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Anti-gunners are emotional and non-objective. They not only do not care about the facts, they will twist them, deny them, or fabricate their own at will to suit their agenda. Anti-gunner claims that gun rights advocates want to bring back the "Wild West" are based on a fictional portrayal of the old West that comes from television and movies. The old west never experienced anything close to the level of gun violence that we have in our society today, yet guns were widely accepted as a necessary tool of frontier life.

Top Bottom