• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HomeGrownNUgly

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Portage In
    I have a friend of mine that insist you should clean your gun after going to the range. I generally wait till I get a few hundred rounds before I clean mine. Just wondering how often you all clean your.

strokin7.3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Hancock County
    When ever I get around to it. Sometimes right after shooting em and sometimes I make a few outings with them before they get cleaned. Also depends on what gun it is too. Mosins get cleaned as soon as I'm done, .22s/ak/sks/and some of my just for fun pistols can sit in the safe dirty for a year for all I care, carry pistol gets cleaned after every outing (there have been a few exceptions).

If you have a quality gun it should be able to go a few hundred rounds without a problem.

HomeGrownNUgly

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Portage In
    I was shooting a over/under rifle and shot about 6 22lr and another 6 410. He asked if I was gonna clean it. I guess he is just OCD with his guns. Must be his army training kicking in.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    After every range trip, and every month for carry pieces (even if just to relube)

If it's a carry gun, and you only clean on range trips...you would be very surprised at the amount of CRAP that gets into the bore/magwell/every nook and cranny.

HomeGrownNUgly

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Portage In
    After every range trip, and every month for carry pieces (even if just to relube)

If it's a carry gun, and you only clean on range trips...you would be very surprised at the amount of CRAP that gets into the bore/magwell/every nook and cranny.

Have to keep this in mind if I ever get my permit. Never really thought about that.

Big Ram

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    My long guns I clean every few hundred rounds. My pistols get cleaned every time I shoot them. My everyday carry gets cleaned when it starts to look dirty

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus

:+1: to every trip and month for EDC. They get dirty through everyday wear, I'm always surprised how much dirt and dust and junk come off my EDC even if it's been holstered since the last cleaning.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I used to clean them after every range trip. Now I will take the same guns for a few range trips. The funny thing is, I just cleaned 2 of my hand guns today, they both had been on 3 or 4 range trips. It was time to clean them, put them away for awhile and get some other guns to come out and play.

Archaic_Entity

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    If you carry, and keep extra mags in your pockets or something... you may want to check the mags, too. I've found lint stuffed halfway down one mag when I was switching to FMJs for the range once.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    When I get a new firearm I'll strip and lube it. Run it dirty for 1000-2000 rounds to see how it does. After that is a frequent cleaning routine. It's bonding time with my firearms.

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Carry guns I inspect and lube/clean if needed. Clean them after shooting at range, etc.

HD long guns same thing.

On the other hand I haven't cleaned my AK or wiped down in over 600 rounds. Shooting non-corrosive thru it. I figure eventually it will need a cleaning and ill just pee on it or something....

Safe guns get cleaned within a day after shooting

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Within a few days of a range trip, unless I'm headed back out soon. EDC, every month or after a range outing.

But I might try not cleaning them and see how they hold up.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    You're supposed to clean 'em?!?

Seriously though, I used to be in the "clean 'em every time you shoot 'em" camp as well, but I shoot alot more now and I've realized it really isn't needed. If one gets wet or muddy I'll spend a little time with it, otherwise I'll just wipe them down with a dry cloth every few hundred rounds and check the bore for leading. Everything I shoot has been Froglubed and wipes clean very easily.

Top Bottom