• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I'm new to the 1911 platform, and curious how frequently you guys do a full detail strip and clean? I have typically done this every 500 or so rounds with my Glocks and AR's. In between I typically snake the bore and wipe down the outside to remove any powder residue and dirt, etc.

I detail stripped it when I bought it to get to know it better and clean it and oil it. Just fearful of the dreaded "idiot mark" and don't want to unnecessarily be taking it down.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    What do you consider a detail strip? I dont fully break it down very often, but I field strip it after every range trip. I like my guns looking as good as they fire.

Same here, I will at least remove the slide and barrel and clean them after most play sessions. :): I don't really think that has to be done for the pistol to function properly but I made a habit of it a long time ago so I still do it. My :twocents:

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    I've been field stripping all of mine as soon as they get home from the range. I actually laxed in that the past couple of weeks, as I was only taking one gun out at a time.. spent a lot longer then i wanted to cleaning guns last night.

Don't forget to clean inside your mags every so often as well.

snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    I field strip every time after I get back from the range. I also enjoy cleaning almost as much as shooting, I know I am strange but it is true. It is calming and gives me time to think about how to improve the next time out.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Guess if its been a good day at the range, it might be close to 500 rds!

Sounds like there is no outstanding reason to change up the frequency I'm doing now. Occaisionally I'll deep clean more frequently if I'm bored or have other guns out that I'm detailing.

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    After every range trip.

I field strip and clean. Once a year I completely disassemble and do a "deep clean". I actually enjoy taking it down to the bare bones and reassembly.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    With the heat, and depending on how often I carry one of my 1911s, I field strip and clean/lubricate daily. If I have carried that pistol all week, I detail strip and lubricate the pistol.
    If sweat and humidity weren't an issue, I would field strip after every range session, and as needed if its not been shot.

Bummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    West side of Indy
    Idiot marks are scratches caused by careless insertion of the slide stop. They can largely be prevented by filing a clearance notch (if needed - some do not) in the slide stop at the exact point it contacts the plunger pin. I filed a notch in my Colt Combat Elite's slide stop, but when I replaced the slide stop with a Wilson Combat extended slide stop it was not needed.

In answer to the OP's question: I field strip after every trip to the range. I detail strip every thousand rounds. When I say detail strip, I mean every removable part gets removed and cleaned.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Just fearful of the dreaded "idiot mark" and don't want to unnecessarily be taking it down.

what is the idiot mark on a 1911?
    Sorry new 1911 owner.

Do not fear the idiot mark! Just be cautious. The fact that you know its possible and preventable will prevail.

That said, after carrying and shooting a lot for years, I clean my stainless 1911 only when it acts up or rust starts oozing from the mainspring housing. I do keep it fairly oiled and wipe it out on occasion.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I field strip every time after I get back from the range. I also enjoy cleaning almost as much as shooting, I know I am strange but it is true. It is calming and gives me time to think about how to improve the next time out.

Thats funny. I'm the same way. I enjoy the process and the smell of Hoppes #9 is kind of soothing. :):

As a a kid I hated cleaning guns. I dreaded the question from my dad, "Did you clean your gun?".

OD*

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Indiana
    what is the idiot mark on a 1911?
    Sorry new 1911 owner.
    59898977.jpg

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    I too field strip and clean after it's been fired, and detail clean when it's needed.

Has anyone seen that you can now buy air freshners from Hoppe's...original No. 9 scented.

Top Bottom