How often should my handgun be serviced?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BrianJacobsen

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 10, 2011
    Carthage
    Hey all,

I'm still a fairly new shooter and I was just wondering, I've had my Springfield XD for about two years now and I've put several thousand rounds through it at the range.

Here's my question: How often should I take it to a gunsmith to check the workings? Do people do that? I'm thinking of it like a car. Every so often you take it on to a professional and have them do a diagnostic. Yes, no?

Honestly I'm not confident enough in my mechanical skills to do more than a basic field stripping.

Thanks!

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    Basic field stripping and cleaning should suffice until you hit 8-10k rounds. At that point you'll probably want to get at least the guide rod spring replaced. Some people will tell you more or less on the round count, but 8-10k is usually a good number. Of course there can be some variances, as far as what kind of rounds you are using and how often you clean. I've seen a few Glocks go into the 30-40k range without having anything replaced.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    You should never have to take it to a gunsmith. It has a lifetime warranty. Springfield will take care of you; their customer service is legendary.

BrianJacobsen

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 10, 2011
    Carthage
    Gbuck: Thanks!

Downzero: I want to make sure I'm understanding. Are you saying I should just shoot until something breaks? Or is there a point where you would have it serviced, whether by Springfield or a gunsmith?

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    It will start acting up before something breaks. Worry about it then. Until then, just keep it lubed.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    You should never have to take it to a gunsmith. It has a lifetime warranty. Springfield will take care of you; their customer service is legendary.

Downzero: I want to make sure I'm understanding. Are you saying I should just shoot until something breaks? Or is there a point where you would have it serviced, whether by Springfield or a gunsmith?

It will start acting up before something breaks. Worry about it then. Until then, just keep it lubed.
    While I understand what Zero is saying, I disagree. I would rather not ship MY firearm back to ANYONE if I don't have to.

A) You're without it for a period of time.

B) It could get lost in shipping.

C) For normal wear and tear, you're probably going to have to pay shipping as well as the service.

D) It's MUCH less of a hassle to take it to a 'smith to fix it and cheaper.

(If you're just replacing a guide rod order it online. They're cheap and if you know how to field strip, you know how to replace it. :D )

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    With any quality gun, about the only parts that you would have to replace over time are some of the springs, mostly the recoil/guide rod springs. And those aren't due for replacement yet. Most any other part will last until you have *much* more experience with the gun. Other than that, proper cleaning and lubes periodically and you are good to go.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    i field strip and clean my EDC once a week. overkill? probably. but at the very least, it gives me the peace of mind knowing. youd be surprised how dirty your gun gets after a week of carry.

pokersamurai

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    I keep a supply of most of the springs and small parts that wear out or break on most of my pistols. I don't worry about it until something does break at which point I fix it myself (no gunsmith involved). If a major component of the pistol were to break that I could not fix (slide, frame, etc.) Then I'd send it back to the factory.

XDLover

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Delaware County
    Learn to care for your primary pistol yourself. There are plenty of good YOUTUBE vidoes to take you through many of the steps out there. All those are basic stuff too.
    Plus if you ever had to care for it you can without issue. But I would also find a good smith you can trust to care for it if you ever need to. There are things I don't like doing on a gun.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Your XD should last forever if (semi)regularly cleaned and properly lubed (not over-lubed). There's not much else you can do beyond field stripping that gun.

Have you ever seen the torture test of the XD they do on those TV shows?

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    By the time you've shot it enough to require any maintenance, you'll be comfortable enough with it to determine what needs to be done, and how to do it.

Until then, just clean & lube.

Top Bottom