• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I really enjoy shooting and am about to purchase my first handgun, but...I want it more to take apart and check out than I do to shoot.

The nerdy technical side of me is excited. :)

Nerdy and technical? Take a really close look at an 1895 Nagant revolver. The only revolver than can be effectively suppressed.
    The cylinder moves forward to seal to the forcing cone as each round is brought into battery.

You can find them relatively cheap, less than $150 for the revolver with accessories. Ammo (7.62x38R) is not common. You won't find it at Walmart. You can find it at gun-shows though, and it's not that expensive. $23 for 50 rounds of Prvi Partisan. It will also shoot .32 S&W.

A really neat piece of history, that is technically fascinating, to me anyway.
    One last thing. You said you like to shoot, but you'd rather tinker with it?
    Do me a big favor. If you do get one, figure out how to lesson that 12lb trigger pull and let me know!

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend
    Do me a big favor. If you do get one, figure out how to lesson that 12lb trigger pull and let me know!

12lbs? I think mine had a 20 lbs pull, gee whiz that was a helleva hard DA trigger. Fully user serviceable so I agree a great gun to take apart.

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    It's putting them back together that is the enjoyable part.
    IF you follow the manual and follow it word for word its not a problem, However even after you do this several times you will still not know what you just did to make this THING work again. Replace the trigger bushing and its no longer a nightmare.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    I have no idea why people think a 1911 is a complex pistol.

Its pretty basic. You will be dissapointed if you are looking for a Rube-Goldberg gun.

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend

Its pretty basic. You will be dissapointed if you are looking for a Rube-Goldberg gun.

Maybe its all us youngsters used to the stupid-easy plastic tupperware pistol disassembly instructions?

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

I feel the same way. But I thought it was because I used to clean my dad's Hi-power when I was a kid.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    You would enjoy a 1911. Not particularly complicated, but "complicated" and "fine engineering" are not necessarily synonomous. Once you discover for yourself what a fine piece of engineering it really is, you will feel confident carrying it for self-defense. This is a tried and true design that has been refined through more exacting modern machining methods. The 1911s of today are a great improvement (understatment) both functionally and aesthetically over the original productions.

Also, as was mentioned earlier, you might just be a fine future gunsmith in the rough. Good gunsmiths are a very rare commodity these days. Why not sign up for a class?

Last edited:

kazaam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2012
    No kidding! Once things like spin drift and coriolis effect effect enter your lexicon, it's all over. You've become a gun nerd.

:eek: I admit I did lol at this. :D

I might actually get a CZ 75B SA because a)it's a sweet gun, b)its cheap, c)it has many parts, and d)there are a lot of things I could upgrade myself.

vtxrecruiter

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    West Indy
    I really enjoy shooting and am about to purchase my first handgun, but...I want it more to take apart and check out than I do to shoot.

The nerdy technical side of me is excited. :)

This is the story that accompanies almost EVERY "shoebox gun" I ever had to put back together for the owner. It also accounts for about 75% of a gunsmith's revenues replacing those "drop in" and or "DIY custom job" parts. Not being rude or mean, just go slow, get education, and remember you can always take away metal but you cannot add it.

BowhuntnHoosier

Angry Old Conservative Fart
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Terre Haute
    Come on, guys! Where is your imagination?
    I like the idea of starting with a 1911, but why not go all out and try a Ruger Mark II/III?

And no fair watching a video first - you need to do it by just reading the manual. Let us know how that works out for you :-)

---
    GB!

Something you just never forget......wow what a day. I thought I had a nice pretty paper weight for awhile. LOL;)

Top Bottom