How the Glock Became America's Weapon of Choice (NPR)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I caught it as well. If you are interested I believe the program will be repeated tonight at 7 p.m. It's 90.1 on the dial.

I have the book on reserve at the library, but it is still on the to be purchased list. Hard telling when I'll get a shot (pun intended) at it.

growl18

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    Where can I get a red slide release?

Was a very good listen.
    Times have changed, NPR doing an episode on a gun manufacturer and being positive about it.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    I caught it as well. If you are interested I believe the program will be repeated tonight at 7 p.m. It's 90.1 on the dial.

I have the book on reserve at the library, but it is still on the to be purchased list. Hard telling when I'll get a shot (pun intended) at it.

Not sure about Indy, but In WVPE's listening base (South Bend, Plymouth, Elkhart, Niles, etc) Fresh Air is not re-aired. We normally have jazz at 7pm, but tonight's regular programming for most NPR stations will be interrupted by the State of the Union Address, along with Governor Daniels response.

You can always download the podcast or listen to it online.

Homebrew

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 18, 2011
    How The Glock Became America's Weapon Of Choice : NPR

Cool article/story on NPR today:

How The Glock Became America's Weapon Of Choice : NPR

Today the Glock pistol has become the gun of choice for both criminals and law enforcement in the United States.

In his book Glock: The Rise of America's Gun, Paul Barrett traces how the sleek, high-capacity Austrian weapon found its way into Hollywood films and rap lyrics, not to mention two-thirds of all U.S. police departments.
    The Glock was created in 1982 by curtain-rod manufacturer Gaston Glock.

Glock didn't like the handguns available on the market and decided to manufacture a new gun from scratch. Before starting, he asked gun experts in his native Austria what could be done to improve a handgun for the modern era....

indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011
    Which show was it on? NPR is blocked at work.. but if I know the show I can look it up on my phone and listen to it...

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I finished the book today (bored, visiting my parents in KS). It's a pretty interesting account of Glock's success and strategizing and the mythos surrounding the gun. The author seems to have a pretty moderate view of gun control and has a history of covering Glock and the gun industry in general. All in all not a bad read. Glock's corporate history is a bit of a soap opera.

kjf40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Lake county
    I have a book thats everything you wanted to know about glocks...including the history, read it in a day...was very good read.

Very impressive pistol :)

And im not just saying that cause i own one :D

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    Not to fart in the elevator so to speak...

I have owned three Glocks in the past, all have worked well, but..

The Glock is not "my" gun.

In its defense, I would carry a Glock over the Sig 229 that I am issued though...

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I wasn't too many weeks ago the Terry Gross had the author of Gun to discuss the AK.

Transcript

Again, another discussion without the hype. Terry doesn't know much about guns, but seems to be open minded.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    I wasn't too many weeks ago the Terry Gross had the author of Gun to discuss the AK.

Transcript

Again, another discussion without the hype. Terry doesn't know much about guns, but seems to be open minded.

I somehow missed the one on the AK, I will have to download it.

As far as Terry's opion of guns, I got the impression from when she was interviewing Timothy Olyphant (from the show Justified) that she wasnt all that keen on guns. She seemed surprised, almost shocked when he said that he enjoyed learning to shoot for the show, etc. She also said something like "Well aside from my personal feelings about guns". She does do a very good job at not being biased though. Sometimes her personal opinions bleed through, but most of the time she can do a great job guiding the interview and letting the guest discuss something, even if she fundamentally disagrees. I hear she even kept her cool during the infamous interview with Gene Simmons.

Top Bottom