• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fg12351

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Fishers
    I was wondering what the "proper" (I know subjective) grip pressure is to have on my handgun when shooting? FYI, it's my first handgun, Glock 23, and I'm getting better but I'd like to make sure I'm not developing any bad habits.

Real tight? Death grip? I think I haven't been holding on tight enough and it's causing part of my crappy accuracy. When I really focus on my grip and keeping my wristlocked I can see a big difference. I can keep them in a 6-8" group at 7 yards with two hand slow fire, I know not great.

For that matter, are there any good links on proper hand/arm position? IE, should my elbows be straight/straight-locked/bent? I have the NRA basic pistol manual from the class I took but was wondering if there is anything better by all means share.

I've also purchased a 9mm conversion barrell and a Glock 19 magazine to practice cheaper, then I might get a 19 and/or a .22L conversion barrel to get better cheaper!

Thank you very much in advance,

FG12351

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    No amount of internet advice will be better than quality training.

Your grip on the handgun should not be tighter than a firm handshake. Sheriff Ken Campbell demonstrates the futility and detriment of having a too tight a grip by shooting his pistol gripped only with thumb and middle finger. As far as elbows locked or not, definitely locked when shooting one-handed. Don't make me tell you this again.

No amount of internet advice will be better than quality training.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    You'll get as many different answers as there are answerers.

Massad Ayoob, who is no slouch in the competitive shooting department, advocates a "crush grip": squeeze it until your fingernails turn white. His main reason is that in the middle of combat you won't be able to tell your muscles "just enough". You'll be crush-gripping the gun anyway from the adrenaline dump, which will change the way you shoot... so he figures you might as well learn to shoot that way.

Of course, this is not the way to shoot bullseye, so if you're not thinking combat, you're probably wanting different advice.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Do not over grip the gun. Just hold onto the gun firmly, but not white knuckled. Same firmness as driving a nail with hammer. When squeezing too hard it is difficult to just move the trigger finger. Most of the grip comes from the weak hand and the squeeze it applies. 60-70 percent of your grip should come from the weak hand. The strong hand runs the gun/trigger.

A hour of instruction on the range this early in you development would be valuable. Developing a good habit is much easier than fixing a bad one.

fg12351

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Fishers
    Thanks for the help guys. I'm going to look into a handgun shooting course in the next few months when I have some money again.

Top Bottom