How to accidentally discharge your handgun properly.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    That would never have happened with my "outdated" DA/SA auto, as it has a firing pin block that won't allow it to fire without a finger on the trigger, even in the extremely unlikely event that the hammer dropped unexpectedly, as in this video.
    Just saying...

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Glocks just need a holster.

:laugh:

I witnessed a 1911 go full auto at a match this season.

It is amazing how quick those things can cycle. When I saw it I felt bad for the guy that had his gun break, but after you know everything else is unhurt it is pretty cool.

In a perfect world we would all have 45 acp 1911's with an auto/manual selector.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    That would never have happened with my "outdated" DA/SA auto, as it has a firing pin block that won't allow it to fire without a finger on the trigger, even in the extremely unlikely event that the hammer dropped unexpectedly, as in this video.
    Just saying...

Assumes that the firing pin wasn't stuck in the out position from being wedged with a bit of grit during dry fire practice (what happened with my 2011). I could not tell from the video whether the hammer dropped initially or not.

Can pistols slam fire like garands ?

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    :laugh:

It is amazing how quick those things can cycle. When I saw it I felt bad for the guy that had his gun break, but after you know everything else is unhurt it is pretty cool.

In a perfect world we would all have 45 acp 1911's with an auto/manual selector.

I always laugh when guys talk about "out running" the slide, uh huh, sure you are.... :laugh:

when I built my 1911 it went FA once. fastest bill drill I ever did. Still all A's. :) was a decent group actually...

[don't recall the exact issue, it wasn't a hammer/sear issue... the trigger bow was interfering somewhere, bound up on disco iirc (was many many years ago, I'd have to look at it again...).]

-rvb

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Assumes that the firing pin wasn't stuck in the out position from being wedged with a bit of grit during dry fire practice (what happened with my 2011). I could not tell from the video whether the hammer dropped initially or not.

I hadn't considered that, but unlikely as it is, it's at least theoretically possible.
    All the more reason to exercise flawless vigilance with muzzle discipline, as the guy in the video certainly did.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I was at a Knob creek event. I was going the (fullauto) UZi jungle course.
    The second time I pulled the trigger. It did not stop firing.
    It emptied the mag.
    The RO checked the weapon.
    He handed me a new mag.
    I pulled the trigger.
    It emptied the mag. I said IT and not I!
    the RO took it for repair.
    I got the empty 4 mags for the price of 2.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    is that a thing? genuinely curious what you mean by that

stick it in a holster without clearing a drawstring or shirt tail, errant bit of fabric catches the trigger and as the gun is pushed down into the holster, the trigger is held in place till *bang*. Can happen to anything without a manual safety but more-so with shorter, lighter triggers. Glocks are particularly subject to shaming due to the campaign of umpteen internal safeties that the gun can't go boom without your finger pulling the trigger. Also due to commonness as many LE departments switched from DA revolvers to glocks without addressing bad habits that weren't as problematic due to long DA trigger.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

This got me curious, as I'd always assumed any pistol with a stuck firing pin was capable of slam fire. Realizing it was just an assumption when I started to chime in on this thread, I thought I better test it a bit before opening my mouth. I'm now a bit less certain that my Sig could slam fire. Working the action and seating a cartridge veeerrrry slowly, it seems to me that if the firing pin was protruding enough to hit the primer, the cartridge could not slide up and into position. The firing pin would either be pushed back deep enough to not hit the primer or it would stay in place but block the cartridge from being able to slide up under the ejector and the slide wouldn't close.

Perhaps there's some way it could occur, I mean I guess a bit of debris could stick inside the pistol and potentially act like a firing pin somehow, but it's got to me an incredibly unlikely series of events that would lead to at least this particular design to slam fire.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    This got me curious, as I'd always assumed any pistol with a stuck firing pin was capable of slam fire. Realizing it was just an assumption when I started to chime in on this thread, I thought I better test it a bit before opening my mouth. I'm now a bit less certain that my Sig could slam fire. Working the action and seating a cartridge veeerrrry slowly, it seems to me that if the firing pin was protruding enough to hit the primer, the cartridge could not slide up and into position. The firing pin would either be pushed back deep enough to not hit the primer or it would stay in place but block the cartridge from being able to slide up under the ejector and the slide wouldn't close.

Perhaps there's some way it could occur, I mean I guess a bit of debris could stick inside the pistol and potentially act like a firing pin somehow, but it's got to me an incredibly unlikely series of events that would lead to at least this particular design to slam fire.

very unlikely, yes. consider the round could, if things aren't operating normally, feed into the chamber uncontrolled by the extractor (pop in ahead of it vs slide in behind it), which would allow the FP to hit the primer when the breech closed. very, very unlikely, yes. other possibilities might include high primers, broken firing pin springs (making the FP 'floating'), some other debris, etc. all unlikely. much more likely for a fire control problem...

-rvb

those would all be very rare, but

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    No disagreements here. Whatever happened seems strange.

If it was hammer follow you wonder why the guy did not know there was a problem with the gun, and things must have been on the edge for the hammer to only follow the one time, perhaps a piece of grit as noted.

High primers are noted to allow slam firing in garands without anything being 'wrong' with the gun. Perhaps the common combination of federal (soft) primers & light firing pin springs (or broken as noted above) and an extended firing pin could enable that possibility, if so that would be an argument for firing pin blocks.

I dunno.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Obviously the shooter is an experienced gun handler. Perhaps too experienced. I've never been a fan of shooters who rack the slide at the conclusion of the course of fire and then flip the round in the air so they can catch it. I'm sure they think it makes them look cool. I've watched several "cowboys" do this at IDPA and USPSA matches. Too much showboating for my way of thinking. Too easy to sweep your hand as you're reaching for the round.

I was also surprised he would choose to holster the gun after the accidental discharge. I am also not sure I heard the SO yell "STOP" either. Also wondering what happened to the command. Just seems like there was a whole lot of lackadaisical attitude. If that would have happened to me I'm pretty certain it would be an "Oh *****" moment ! I'd be too rattled to just holster the gun and continue on ! YMMV

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Obviously the shooter is an experienced gun handler. Perhaps too experienced. I've never been a fan of shooters who rack the slide at the conclusion of the course of fire and then flip the round in the air so they can catch it. I'm sure they think it makes them look cool. I've watched several "cowboys" do this at IDPA and USPSA matches. Too much showboating for my way of thinking. Too easy to sweep your hand as you're reaching for the round.

I was also surprised he would choose to holster the gun after the accidental discharge. I am also not sure I heard the SO yell "STOP" either. Also wondering what happened to the command "Unload and show clear." Perhaps I missed that as well. Just seems like there was a whole lot of lackadaisical attitude. If that would have happened to me I'm pretty certain it would be an "Oh *****" moment ! I'd be too rattled to just holster the gun and continue on ! YMMV

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland

I was also surprised he would choose to holster the gun after the accidental discharge. I am also not sure I heard the SO yell "STOP" either. Also wondering what happened to the command. Just seems like there was a whole lot of lackadaisical attitude. If that would have happened to me I'm pretty certain it would be an "Oh *****" moment ! I'd be too rattled to just holster the gun and continue on ! YMMV

Great points.
    That gun would not have gone back in my holster, fully unloaded or not.
    It would have had a chamber flag inserted, then it would have been time for a thorough going over by a gunsmith to find the problem.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Obviously the shooter is an experienced gun handler. Perhaps too experienced. I've never been a fan of shooters who rack the slide at the conclusion of the course of fire and then flip the round in the air so they can catch it. I'm sure they think it makes them look cool.

If I could get it to flip into my shirt pocket I'd do it. Not to showboat, to save me from having to bend over to pick it up. As it is, I just let it drop and try to keep an eye on where it went.

twfshelton

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    The woods of green
    this is such a wake up call to all gun owners, how many times have we locked and loaded in our homes before we head out for the day. Nobody ever expects Mr. Murphy to be hiding in your closet.

Top Bottom