• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • heartless

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2008
    was watching fox news and seen a clip of guns that where burried. they where wraped in a cloth? maybe and it looked a big greasy?.... was wondering how to properly bury a gun in a ways that it would be protected from the elements....???? if they ever ban guns. knowing how to do this would be great!

cordex

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    While I've never done this, I would suspect that it would depend in large part on how long you want to leave it buried and how concerned you are about ground penetrating radar, sonar, metal detectors and so forth.

What are your timeframes and biggest concerns?

heartless

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2008
    donno really? never thought id have a reason to burry one? hmm well i gess my biggest concern would be... it being kept in good working none rusted to hell condition.... would probly burry it sumwhere smart if need be... was more wondering about protection and what one would wrap or contain it in to keep it in working order.... lets for a sec imagine i had an ar15 rather than the ak47 i know can take a beating..... no chrome bore and damn guns are illegal now! what would i wrap it in b4 i burry it?? and tell every one i know i sold it for gass money wich by then will be 50$pg

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Smother it in grease, put it in a length of PVC pipe, cap both ends and seal with silicone caulk? Would that work, or hold in too much moisture?

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    donno really? never thought id have a reason to burry one? hmm well i gess my biggest concern would be... it being kept in good working none rusted to hell condition.... would probly burry it sumwhere smart if need be... was more wondering about protection and what one would wrap or contain it in to keep it in working order.... lets for a sec imagine i had an ar15 rather than the ak47 i know can take a beating..... no chrome bore and damn guns are illegal now! what would i wrap it in b4 i burry it?? and tell every one i know i sold it for gass money wich by then will be 50
    This may be a little off topic, but do you use FireFox? If so, is it the latest version? If not, please download it, please.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    How to bury a firearm for long term:

1. Apply for C&R license.
    2. While waiting, prep long term burial container of PVC.
    3. Spend some time finding a good burial site (avoid Indian Burial Mounds even if the price is right). National/State parks are also a bad idea as the land is already being used to grow dope or cook meth. Back yards are fine, but be sure to know where your septic tank and all of its parts are. Be very sure.
    4. When your C&R arrives, call J&G, or whomever you want and order 5 Mosins, 10 SKS's and a crate load of Nagant revolvers.
    5. While waiting for the UPS man, be sure to order silica dessicant.
    6. Likely, the UPS man will bring both on the same day. You will know you are in business if he looks REALLY angry with you and has a ride-a-long assistant that has been making his life hell all day and was only needed because of your delivery.
    7. Take all the boxes inside.
    8. Before opening them, have your PVC boxes ready.
    9. Pay attention here, this is the trick. Open the new boxes. Inside will be rifles covered in Cosmoline grease that resembles slathered on amber goup. WITH BOTH HANDS TAKE THE RIFLE OUT OF ONE BOX AND PUT IT IN THE OTHER. REPEAT AS NEEDED.
    10. Ok, now close up the PVC box (with a little dessicant in the box) and seal it.
    11. Grab the shovel and head out to bury your time capsules!

That about does it.
    :)

Steelman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    Danville, IN
    Ok great! I love getting a chance to use macho gun nut cliches!

"If it's time to bury them, it's time to dig them up."

Classic. Definitely worth the wait.

IMO it's a bad idea to bury anything in your backyard where nosey neighbors might see. If you live in the sticks - different ball game.

40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    ive got the perfect tool for the job... get a post hole digger. digging a hole vertically would be better then trying to dig a deep horizontal hole.

i know, great idea, thanks

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    IMO it's a bad idea to bury anything in your backyard where nosey neighbors might see. If you live in the sticks - different ball game.

Now you tell me... time to dig the wife back up...

This is of course a joke for any LEOs on the board.... really it is...

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    Kinda interesting to see how many find this topic funny. I just happen to know there is a small woods somewhere N of Indy and S of MI that has, mmmmm lets just say well over 100 guns of various lengths and calibers buried in pvc pipe. One or two are retrieved each year and inspected for damage, and so far all have been in the same condition as when they first went into hiding.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    Wolfman,

No need for directions.... just give me coordinates.:thumbsup:

Back during the AWB there were plenty of PVC building instructions on the internet. Back then SKSs were the rifle to bury. They fit very well in a standard sized pipe with a few hundred rounds of ammo, cheap rifle and ammo too.

The AR guys were burying them w/o the pistol grip installed, and thats about when the A3/A4 flattop became popular too, that would really help in sizing them for a PVC pipe.

Now, just where did I bury all those AKs & SKSs in 1994???:dunno:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    At this juncture I am obligated to reiterate that if things get so bad that we need to bury guns because they are illegal, then it will be way past time when they should have been used.

Of course, there's nothing wrong with tuckin' a little somethin'-somethin' away for a rainy day. Just in case. You never know, right?

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    At this juncture I am obligated to reiterate that if things get so bad that we need to bury guns because they are illegal, then it will be way past time when they should have been used.

Of course, there's nothing wrong with tuckin' a little somethin'-somethin' away for a rainy day. Just in case. You never know, right?

The point back then, was to "tuck them away for the rainy day", loooooooooooong before the sky even had the slightest hint of any clouds in it.:nailbite::runaway: as in "before they are illegal"
    Around the time of Ruby Ridge I do believe. :patriot:

wolfman

Top Bottom