• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • timeforchili

Plinker
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    I just finished shooting a few new (new to me) guns yesterday and have a few questions about how/when you clean your rifles. I bought a winchester 30/30 off another indgoer and shot 20 rounds. Is it important to clean it (i'm not quite sure how to on this one) after so few rounds? If so does anyone have a link on how to do it as i have no manual for this one. I shot about 100 rounds with a new AR just to make sure it would...will it matter if it sits till next time? I have a couple 22s that have had 1000's of rounds beween baths without a problem but i dont want to risk these two by being lazy...any input?

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    My centerfire bolt and break actions get three wet patches, three brush strokes, and six dry patches every 20 rounds. They get an overnight soak with Gunslick foaming bore cleaner ever 100-150 rounds.

My .22's get cleaned after considerably longer intervals - usually around 1000 rounds and that's only if an accuracy or function problem develops.

Your levergun might be able to go considerably longer since the lower velocities of the 30/30 might result in less copper fouling.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    CLEAN THEM!

If you have disassembly/assembly questions, look up Midway USA. They have illustrated parts breakdown schematics for many firearms. Download them for free.

But seriously, take care of your firearms and clean them when you finish using them.

Ever heard the term, "...rode hard and put away wet"?

rnmcguire

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    I clean my weapons every time I fire them. I also clean them occasionally even when I haven't shot them just for preventative maintenance and to prevent rust. It's like oil changes for your car. Even if you don't drive it for a year you should still change the oil. I've heard the Win 30-30 is a little difficult to disassemble but you can still run a bore snake or cleaning rod down the barrel and wipe out the chamber/bolt with a rag and qtips. You can probably find the rifle owners manual online for free download which will show you how to field strip the weapon.

timeforchili

Plinker
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    I clean my weapons every time I fire them. I also clean them occasionally even when I haven't shot them just for preventative maintenance and to prevent rust. It's like oil changes for your car. Even if you don't drive it for a year you should still change the oil. I've heard the Win 30-30 is a little difficult to disassemble but you can still run a bore snake or cleaning rod down the barrel and wipe out the chamber/bolt with a rag and qtips. You can probably find the rifle owners manual online for free download which will show you how to field strip the weapon.

i just found the manual...cant screw it up now right?

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    wtf_pics-cookie-militia.jpg

GAM3INO

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2011
    Crown Point
    No matter how many rounds I put through any of my guns, they get broken down and cleaned after each and every use. Its just something I got used to doing, and still do it to this day.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I've never understood the "I clean my rifle ever time I look at it" crowd. You will cause unnecessary wear / tear on your weapon, and are wasting your time & resources. Unless your ammo is corrosive: shoot it, run a bore snake through it, oil it up, and put it away. When the round count starts to add up, clean it. The more you field strip it, the sloppier the rifles fit will become.

As far as the model 94 go's, piece of cake. Find an exploded view diagram online, and to from there.

nighthawk80

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Trafalger
    I've never understood the "I clean my rifle ever time I look at it" crowd. You will cause unnecessary wear / tear on your weapon, and are wasting your time & resources. Unless your ammo is corrosive: shoot it, run a bore snake through it, oil it up, and put it away. When the round count starts to add up, clean it. The more you field strip it, the sloppier the rifles fit will become.

As far as the model 94 go's, piece of cake. Find an exploded view diagram online, and to from there.

This is my method!

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I'll field strip my AR every 600 rounds or so, swab the barrel after every range trip. Before all the OMG comments. If your rifle will not function after 600 rounds down the pipe, throw it in the trash. My AK never gets cleaned. I'll run a bore snake through the barrels of my .22's, and that's about it.

ralphb72

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Greens Fork, IN
    REading the manual is fine, but sometimes watching is even better:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXbx4-zkhMs

I clean my guns every year or so if I have not used them. If I have used them, I tend to clean them but not every single time. No hard and fast rule for me other then if I'm using it for self defense, it will get cleaned more often then not after it gets shot, but still not every single time. I don't necearily take it all the way apart to clean it every time, sometimes just use qtips, break free, and a bore snake.

Just this summer I took apart my 10/22 for the first time ever. Have had it for about 4 years and bought it used. I have cleaned it several times but never taken it all the way apart before. It was still working fine, just found a good video on it so wanted to try it myself. It was pretty dirty inside there!

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I don't have any set rules; definitely depends on the type of ammo I use. Tend to clean my pistols/revolvers every time I shoot them. 22 rifles get shot forever or until they jam every shot:D

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I shoot until they're dirty and throw them away. Buy new and repeat. You guys might want to start dumpster diving in the northern part of the state as I never use the same dumpster.

Top Bottom