• ...and so much more!
  • Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    I was approached a lot when we lived in Sacramento. I worked all hours as a road tech for forklifts. Had to be very aggressive sometimes. Bought food a couple times when I saw them dumpster diving for eats. It would be 110 degrees, the dumpster baking in the sun, smell was incredible and they would jump in looking for something to eat.

Felt guilty here in Indiana a few times. Same thing, went to a nearby fast food place and bought a meal. Drove back and handed it to them.

Don

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    I won’t give money to panhandlers on the corners. There are plenty of community programs that they can get help from. Unfortunately most of the panhandlers don’t want to submit to the guidelines that the programs have.

That being said, I was down in Phoenix several years ago. Some 20-something guy was going through the trash cans looking for food. It was 110 degrees out. He came up and asked if I could spare some money. I told him no, but I would buy him some food and a cold drink. We went in the gas station and I spent about $15 on a sandwich, some snacks and a bottle of water. He seemed very grateful. I won’t give any of them money though.
    Reminds me of helping out at the Mission, when people draw the line at we will not attend services, and refuse help because of it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I was approached a lot when we lived in Sacramento. I worked all hours as a road tech for forklifts. Had to be very aggressive sometimes. Bought food a couple times when I saw them dumpster diving for eats. It would be 110 degrees, the dumpster baking in the sun, smell was incredible and they would jump in looking for something to eat.

Felt guilty here in Indiana a few times. Same thing, went to a nearby fast food place and bought a meal. Drove back and handed it to them.

Don
    That is an act of compassion my friend and good on you.
    Every attempt at my feeding one of these guys (never seen one in a dumpster) failed as all they wanted was the money. The asking for money for food was just an in to get attention.
    I really wish I was not so jaded in this but they have trained me to be. I trust no one on the streets any more.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    That is an act of compassion my friend and good on you.
    Every attempt at my feeding one of these guys (never seen one in a dumpster) failed as all they wanted was the money. The asking for money for food was just an in to get attention.
    I really wish I was not so jaded in this but they have trained me to be. I trust no one on the streets any more.
    I was with a coworker who saw a guy begging; food, money whatever. The coworker swung through McDonald's and bought him a meal and handed it to him. As we were driving away, we saw him look in the bag and then toss it aside.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I just don't know why the Kroger doesn't let him play inside. They used to let people play over where the deli flows into the wine section.
    I was at a Menards up in NWI around Christmas they had a lady playing carols on a baby grand. If she had a tip jar I would have put something in it.
    This must have been outside the Krogucci by the mall. We ain't got none of them fancy fiddle playin' type on the west side.
    None at the one by my house either, just GS and BS selling cookies and popcorn.

ed1838

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 20, 2022
    Seymour
    My aera must have cracked down on them or just been to cold have not saw any for a few months and the crack heads has disappeared. When had warm weather would see at least 6 on way to work in morning.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Used to work in indy and yet to come across any super aggressive panhandlers... then again, I'm not a little guy and the panhandlers don't press the issue. Honestly, I'm not sure how I would handle an aggressive panhandler

ed1838

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 20, 2022
    Seymour
    Had one in Columbus about 5am last summer he was out of his mind yelling started coming towards me. I yell back stay the F^^K back he did. Called popo and he was gone when they showed up.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Had one in Columbus about 5am last summer he was out of his mind yelling started coming towards me. I yell back stay the F^^K back he did. Called popo and he was gone when they showed up.
    We have a couple of "yellers" here in Bloomington. They scream at the top of their lungs.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Reminds me of a pastor from about 20 years ago who said he would see panhandlers at entrance and exit ramps with a sign that says "Will Work for Food".

He would sincerely offer them some quick short work in exchange for a meal.

Their most common reply would be they wanted to be paid at least $15 or more and hour (in 20 years ago money), and they really didn't want to work for food.

So this Pastor had a piece of cardboard with the words "He's Lying" written on it with an arrow pointing to the side.
    HE'D stand next to the guy with the sign, and follow him around if he moved.

He said the bum would get really mad at him, and usually end up leaving. :lmfao:

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    To add a different perspective to the post I just made #71.

My late mother, born in 1914 used to tell me of the days during the Depression when many people were out of work and struggling to find work.

Her mother, my grandmother, was a widow in those times and had very little herself, and refused going on "Relief".

YET men would come by who were honestly wanting to work.
    Grandma would have them do some work around the place in exchange for a meal.
    THESE MEN were honestly appreciative for this, and were good men who really wanted a job but couldn't find one.

And my grandmother was so poor herself that she took in people's laundry and baked pies to scrape by.
    YET she gave of herself what she could to help others.

Those were different times...

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    To add a different perspective to the post I just made #71.

My late mother, born in 1914 used to tell me of the days during the Depression when many people were out of work and struggling to find work.

Her mother, my grandmother, was a widow in those times and had very little herself, and refused going on "Relief".

YET men would come by who were honestly wanting to work.
    Grandma would have them do some work around the place in exchange for a meal.
    THESE MEN were honestly appreciative for this, and were good men who really wanted a job but couldn't find one.

And my grandmother was so poor herself that she took in people's laundry and baked pies to scrape by.
    YET she gave of herself what she could to help others.

Those were different times...
    I believe the above would be a hand up, versus a hand out. They are miles apart.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I don't mind giving a person who is politely asking for money something. If a person tries to get in my vehicle things will go south quickly. Living in the country I really don't understand the patience you big city people have for that type of behavior.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I don't mind giving a person who is politely asking for money something. If a person tries to get in my vehicle things will go south quickly. Living in the country I really don't understand the patience you big city people have for that type of behavior.
    I don’t. At all.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    337   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    As a matter of fact, I was dealing with a lot of this when I took mindset labs intro to force on force.

I told Shae that I was dealing with lots of panhandlers and homeless because of my neighborhood.

He strongly suggested that I sell my house and move somewhere that I was less like to be attacked by a drug addict/psycho.

I initially dismissed his suggestion because I had sunk labor and money into that house and had hopes and dreams. I eventually realized that he was right and sold that house and moved west to the mountains.

Waaay fewer panhandlers in the mountains.

Shae was right!
    Exactly the reason we moved out of Indianapolis. Spent a metric ton of money on a whole house rehab, then found a place out in the woods three months later. Wasn't even mad about it.

Posters can dump on Nashville all you want, but we have no panhandlers, fast ISP and Sheriff response, and clean sidewalks.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Exactly the reason we moved out of Indianapolis. Spent a metric ton of money on a whole house rehab, then found a place out in the woods three months later. Wasn't even mad about it.

Posters can dump on Nashville all you want, but we have no panhandlers, fast ISP and Sheriff response, and clean sidewalks.
    We love that area.

Top Bottom