How to defeat a raiding party when SHTF?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Since some of the members are forming a raiding party to raid supplies post SHTF, how do we defeat them?

We know most of the attackers will be cannon fodder, so how do we deal with the remaining 20% who survive the first probing of our defenses?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    OK, since the subject of raiding me personally was the original spark behind that discussion, I will jump in. For the ~20% left after the initial charge, I propose intense landscaping including steep banks that inhibit climbing in tandem with passive devices like planting barberry bushes and assorted blackberry and raspberry bushes (dual purpose, you know), using punji sticks, Burmese tiger pits, and large rocks that can be dropped down the aforementioned inclines remotely by mechanical means. While our intrepid raiders are dealing with all the above, the home team can engage in casual plinking at their expense.

spectre327

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    Seymour, Indiana
    OK, since the subject of raiding me personally was the original spark behind that discussion, I will jump in. For the ~20% left after the initial charge, I propose intense landscaping including steep banks that inhibit climbing in tandem with passive devices like planting barberry bushes and assorted blackberry and raspberry bushes (dual purpose, you know), using punji sticks, Burmese tiger pits, and large rocks that can be dropped down the aforementioned inclines remotely by mechanical means. While our intrepid raiders are dealing with all the above, the home team can engage in casual plinking at their expense.

Why Not install remote Gatling guns aka The Last Samurai? :ar15:

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Claymores. Front toward enemy.

Or something improvised. We are talking SHTF so I take it anything goes. Figure that a single Firebomb with gas and liquid soap will being down most houses you have to strike them first.

So the best defense is a good offense.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    If the raiding party is worth anything, odds are you aren't going to defeat them if they decide to raid your location. I wouldn't raid jack if I wasn't sure I was going to come out on top.

But to play along, "defeat" I think can be applicable in others ways; ie deterrence. If you don't look like easy prey, odds are many wont want to take the chance, unless they are very desperate.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...But to play along, "defeat" I think can be applicable in others ways; ie deterrence. If you don't look like easy prey, odds are many wont want to take the chance, unless they are very desperate.

Wait... could this principle be applied to individuals as well, or would that just make me the first target?

;)

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Since some of the members are forming a raiding party to raid supplies post SHTF, how do we defeat them?

We know most of the attackers will be cannon fodder, so how do we deal with the remaining 20% who survive the first probing of our defenses?

so if i understand this in your fiction situtation a radding patry tried to attack you.
    you fought it off and only 20% of their force survived and will be coming again to re-attack?
    is that the situation? how much time bewteen attacks?
    urban, suburbs, rrual?

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    To quote a SHTF writer, if you don't want to get eaten, don't look like food. Being able to project hurt over distance is what gives us an advantage over animals. Use the advantage.

Convenient water sources close by to minimize exposure.
    Consider the fireproofness of BOLs.
    Sandbags and a sand source (or at least wood to build gravel/rock boxes).
    And you need a .308 (or more than one).

Last edited:

Davis0023

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    NorthCentral Indiana
    I suggest a person in a nearby surrounding house or tree, mountain, etc to act as "eyes". regardless of the location the mission is the same the cover/concealment is different.
    These Eyes would act as undetectable sniper should the need arise. This way as any "unknowns" approach they can be seen coming from any direction, they can be counted, sized up and firepower estimated head of time.
    And if there is a person standing way back calling shots that person can be seen and picked off if need be.
    Two of these points would be idea so they can watch each others 6 and baseline of location.
    Call coms between "eyes" and "principle" would be coded maybe just random numbers maybe random words.i.e semi-truck =18, you get the point.
    The rifles would be silenced ideally but not a must depending on cover.
    A dummy sniper could be set up with a 'tell' i.e. exposed barrel end, cracked near by window a tree with a unnatural dressed in black figure could be placed. This intention would be to draw fire in the event a sniper must fire. Assuming they have some sort of counter sniper/surveillance. I suggest bear traps and other Vietnam style booby traps near and around the base of the eyes including the dummy "sniper."
    My guess is when they start getting picked off from behind as well as getting some fire from the front, they will move on down the road...

Just my humble idea, hope this was positive input.

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I doubt the remaining 20% would want any more of what we just dished out. Most units of any size are combat ineffective after losing a third of their numbers. Losing 80% would be game over for them. If they can't get it done with a full muster, they won't at 20% strength.

That said, how would we repel the raid?

24 hours, 360 degree watch with NODs, perimeter alarms, OPs, secure coms and a QRF.

Razor wire, hardened main house, obstacles, blocked driveway/ingress routes, beltfeds, Barretts and sniper positions. Tannerite and ball bearings inside martin houses...

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    Read accounts of and talk to veterans of ths kind of fight and you will get a more realistic scenario.

Unless they approached across open ground, you will not know if they have 20% left or 70%. You will only know the attack stopped, or there is a lull in the attack. You will be regrouping, repairing and bandaging, waiting to see if the attack begins again. After a time, you may send a recon team out to count the dead and wounded, secure arms and see if there is any intel on who/how many/from where the attack was launched. They may be long gone or at a rally point nearby. Welcome to the 3rd world.

Look at attacks on farms in Africa from the Colonial period to today, at fights during the Indian Wars, etc. for what really happens and what priorities are.

Davis0023

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    NorthCentral Indiana
    @ DanO, you raise some valid issues, and I agree a review of history is always a smart choice. But you seem slightly dismissive to this reader. The terrain was never set in the situation/scenario. And the look outs/snipers that I and at least one other mentioned who solve, or at least aid in knowing the whats coming, almost regardless of of terrain with exception to dense jungle/woods.
    Realistically in an urban area ,suburban or farm area, a band of 20 is not going to sneak up on you with look outs strategically posted. And not to mention actively or low profile patrols. The larger the band, the harder to hide.
    Sure could a group of 20 seals/rangers move across a open field...sure "maybe" but is that likely?
    I don't think so. But again I like the research history point, but disagree with the line of thought that before mentioned plans(mine and others) are lacking as I felt your post states.

But as normal this is just my opinion too.

Others thoughts?

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011

Thanks for your defense plan. Would you mind giving us a blueprint of your landscaping design? Maybe indicate where you store food and water, and the usual sniping positions. That'll be much appreciated by the "visiting team."

Can we come in for some beer during halftime?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Thanks for your defense plan. Would you mind giving us a blueprint of your landscaping design? Maybe indicate where you store food and water, and the usual sniping positions. That'll be much appreciated by the "visiting team."

Can we come in for some beer during halftime?

Sure, but you'll have to bring your own since I don't drink.

Top Bottom