• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ipswervy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Somewhere Indiana
    My main question is about the transfer of money to a private seller without problems. Does one send a money order to the seller and hope the gun shows up at your FFL dealer? Or do you use a PayPal account? Looking for some insight on how others have done out of state purchases with private individuals. The gun I'm interested in is advertised on Armslist.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I've only done it once and used a postal money order. I also dealt with someone who was established on another forum and who's identity I could verify. Dealing with someone random...risky.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I've only done it once and used a postal money order. I also dealt with someone who was established on another forum and who's identity I could verify. Dealing with someone random...risky.

This.
    Believe it or not, if the "seller" accepts a Postal money order, and cashes it, but doesn't send the item, they can be charged with postal fraud.
    Try to get them to accept a credit card. Most credit cards have a buyer protection plan.

Use Paypal at your own risk.
    If Paypal finds out the payment is for a "restricted item", they will freeze your account and hold your funds until they decide whether or not to suspend your account for prohibited activities.
    Ask me how I know...

Steel and wood

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2016
    Tipton
    I have sold on armlist several times always face to face with driver license and permit to carry. Never from out of state to risky. But have bought off of gunbroker from private seller that had feed back and sent them a postal money order, PayPal hates guns that's not a joke they can and will freeze the money.
    When off of gunbroker they were out of state we did FFL transfer.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    The last out of state purchase I made was for a C&R rifle on Gunbroker. We both had FFL-03 (C&R) licenses. I sent him the payment in either a Postal or Bank money order and he sent the rifle directly to me. As we had emailed a copy of each others FFl-03 license, I felt fairly safe. If he had failed to complete the transaction or "faked" his license, I would have contacted the BATF to see what could be done. Doubt they would take a favorable view of his actions! I also purchased my 50 BMG rifle from a Gunbroker user, but he was an FFL-01 dealer. Both sales went quite well.

citizenkane

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Just remember , armslist's own webpage says it's for face to face deals. If you get scammed they are not going to help you. There are a lot a scammers on armlist as well as lots of good folks. Just make sure you know which one you are dealing with.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Listen to citizenkane. In my experience most peeps on Armslist do not want any part of shipping or paperwork. Those that do have a higher percentage of fraudsters. YMMV

Top Bottom