I'll see your 6 guys and Dolly....

NSMT-Dolly-Hello-12.jpg

lowriderjim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Huntington
    I lowered a antique, very large safe into a basement using a wrecker winch. Strapped the safe onto movers dolly and covered the stairs with plywood from stringer to stringer and rolled it down. only had about two in clearance on each side.

My advice is to get experienced help and pay the price. A lot of damage and/or injury could be caused a mistake or equipment failure.

No, I am not for hire. Good luck and be careful.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Think Egyptian. Get about 10,000 slaves, some grease, elephants, old ladies to slop the grease oh and a funny head dress to wear while this is all going on.:bowdown:

And a bucket of chicken.

Have fun!!!:laugh6:

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    Pay a pro. I had a moving company move my 900+ pound safe and those 3 idiots almost killed one of their guys going down the stairs and then there is ceramic tile damage etc... I paid a local safe/gun store to move my safe the second time when we moved and they had all the right equipment and were in and out of my house in 10 mins loaded up and driving to my new place.

SkinNFluff

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Mauckport, Indiana
    Hey INGO,

Did a quick search and didnt come up with a lot, so here it goes.

Im going to be moving in a month or so, and I currently have a 600lb cannon safe in my basement(dont want to talk about how we got it down there:rolleyes:...it didnt take long at all).

Does anyone have any suggestions about how to get it up the stairs and out?
    How did you move your safe?
    Does anyone do this professionally?

Im not about to pay $500 to have an $900 safe moved...Id just leave it and buy another one(not in the budget).

Was considering hooking a winch up to the hitch on my dually and dragging it up the stairs...the problem is making the turn at the top....and not damaging anything.

Please and thank you
    God bless
    -Shred

This is the first thing that came to mind when I read that.

[video=youtube;nHwC30c_2CA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHwC30c_2CA[/video]

Stang51d

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Centerpoint
    Used a half assed fridge dolly and 4 guys to get my pepsi machine/safe into my basement. It went pretty well. Only 6 steps. May leave it when we move, or sell it cheap. Just bought a safe that will go the the new place. It really works great. Will hold 14 rifles easy and I have a bracket on the back wall to hang my 1919, then there is room over head for mags and handguns, and the compressor area below has lots of ammo. I think there is 19-20 long guns (not broon sticks either, scoped bolt rifles and military rifles with mags) in there now, 5-6 hand guns, 4 spam cans of surplus ammo, about 6 30cal cans full (some in the door). It really has worked out good.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Im going to be moving in a month or so, and I currently have a 600lb cannon safe in my basement (dont want to talk about how we got it down there:rolleyes:...it didnt take long at all).

-Shred

My brother and I got mine into my basement exactly the same way, it wasn't really planned that way, but it worked! Still not sure how my brother survived.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Got to be able to handle it. My buddy hired a couple young guys and they put it through a wall and did some major damage. Yes experience and the right equipment costs.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Being the risk is reasonably high for severe structural damage to the house, or to someone's body, if things go wrong, find someone that knows what they are doing and have the right equipment.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Sucks to have to move it back up stairs. Gravity is more of a friend going down. He's an ******* going up.

I was lucky. Walkout basement.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    Being the risk is reasonably high for severe structural damage to the house, or to someone's body, if things go wrong, find someone that knows what they are doing and have the right equipment.

Hell when I had my safe delivered to my house and then into the basement, the moving company sent 2 people for a 800# safe. One scrawy guy and one that actually looked like a mover..... needless to say they abandon the safe in my kitchen for a couple days so they could get more guys.... when they came back, they brought 3 guys, one of which that was scrawny..... when they started they immediately called me over to help cause the scrawny guy couldn't handle the load himself.... Luckily I have a good back....I could only imagine what would happen if it was an older individual that couldnt help out.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    A couple of suggestions to add:

1. If possible, take the door off of the safe and move it separately. Will significantly reduce the weight. Typically the door just lifts up and out of the hinges. Wear work gloves and be careful not to pinch your fingers.

2. Rather than an appliance dolly, use a furniture or piano dolly, the kind that have four wheels and go underneath the safe. Much easier than tilting the safe back on an appliance dolly. The hardest part is getting the safe up and centered on the dolly, but once you have it, two guys can handle the safe fairly easily. Use an appliance dolly if necessary to help raise one edge of the safe up then work the furniture dolly into position underneath the safe.

3. If you need to move the safe across carpeting or hardwood flooring that you want to protect, get two pieces of plywood (at least 1/2 inch) to protect the carpet / floor. As you roll the safe from one piece of plywood to the next, move the piece behind to the front, and keep doing that as required.

Last edited:

bman1903

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    Seriously consider James like mentioned earlier, only way to go. The time and effort of getting equipment and men, he would already have it out of there for you, he is VERY resonable on price, at least call and get a quote. If anything check out his facebook page for ideas (added link below, has good pictures). A 600lb safe isnt much, if you take the door off, you will probably have two pieces that are 300lb a piece, which would be much easier for a couple guys to move.

Professional safe and vault

Last edited:
    Top Bottom