• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    How exactly would you polish the chamber? I've been searching old threads about M&P's having FTE, and a lot of guys have solved the problem by polishing the chamber.

How do you do that? Any pics or videos?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Find the largest Dremel attachment you can and grind away at your chamber as long as you can. If you see lots of sparks you are doing it right.

;)

:laugh::laugh:

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    If you don't know 110% what you're doing...don't do it yourself. At least not without someone who DOES know, coaching over your shoulder.
    Polishing is taking off metal... metal that you can not put back if you screw up.
    :twocents:
    YMMV

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    How exactly would you polish the chamber? I've been searching old threads about M&P's having FTE, and a lot of guys have solved the problem by polishing the chamber.

How do you do that? Any pics or videos?

We always called it "polishing the dolphin," but I guess it amounts to the same thing.

It usually happened shortly after "yodeling in the gully."

danimal

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2011
    Unincorporated Lake County
    if you want to polish your feed ramp with a dremel, don't use a grinding wheel attachment. get a felt tip wheel and appropriate polishing compound for the metal you are working with (guessing stainless for your m&p's barrel??). various grit compounds are available. the higher the grit, the smoother your ramp, assuming you know how to work it in.

Drakkule

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Butler,IN. 46721
    if you want to polish your feed ramp with a dremel, don't use a grinding wheel attachment. get a felt tip wheel and appropriate polishing compound for the metal you are working with (guessing stainless for your m&p's barrel??). various grit compounds are available. the higher the grit, the smoother your ramp, assuming you know how to work it in.
    So your saying to lube it up, then rub it hard? Sorry, had to do it.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    You are on.. what is normally called "The wrong track".

Your chamber does not need to be polished, your gun needs to be sent back to its maker.

S&W is aware of this issue and has a fix.

Send it in, get it back, fixed. voila.

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    If you don't know 110% what you're doing...don't do it yourself. At least not without someone who DOES know, coaching over your shoulder.
    Polishing is taking off metal... metal that you can not put back if you screw up.
    :twocents:
    YMMV

Seriously, don't take this advice lightly. You can't pack more metal back on, or fill in the holes. Either research extensively, or get a buddy who's experienced in it. Good advice Jet.

thecollector

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    NWI
    Feed ramp, not chamber

Also going along with danimal, you don't polish the chamber it is the feed ramp to the chamber. If you don't have a dremel, use a dowel rod with a cloth around it to clean it up. Flitz or something on that order to polish. Clean all off before you reassemble.

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    I vote for sending it back to S&W, even though you are mad at them for selling you a gun that doesn't work 100%, they really do know their way around firearms and I'm sure they will fix it. They want you happy. Send it to them and let them prove what a good company they really are.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    If you are uncomfortable, or inexperienced with polishing metal, send it in to S&W to let them have a go at fixing it. I have read many good things about their customer service.

If it were mine, I would find the felt tip for my dremmel that fits inside the chamber, and starting very slowly, polish the feed ramp and chamber with jewelers rouge or flitz. Go slow, and shoot it often, cleaning well between polishing to remove residue. When it stops giving you issues, you should be done.

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    If you choose to do the work yourself and you do use a Dremel, don't hold the tool in one spot for any length of time, try to keep it moving in and out constantly, otherwise you will create "ripples" in the metal.

patandhisruger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    and always remember if you are going to try and do it yourself to only sand in the direction that the rounds feed..if you try and sand in the opposite direction you will wind up with worse problems than you currently have.

Top Bottom