• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Davis0023

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    NorthCentral Indiana
    I am thinking of shortening a shotgun barrel. How to do it? If there anything g to know? Do you just cut it off at desired length? I know it seems like a simple Simon question, But I really don't know the answer, Nor do I want to completely
    Ruin a barrel. Any tips will be appreciated. I did try to find this previously asked/ answered and could not. Sorry if its a repeat question.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    After measuring about 12 times I used a band saw. It only took about a minute to cut through the soft steel and it did a better job than I would have done with a hacksaw. After cutting the bbl to 20" I cleaned up the muzzle with some emery paper and then steel wool. I cleaned it up with some acetone and then cold blued the end. Didn't turn out to bad IMO.

Last edited:

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    After measuring about 12 times I used a ban saw. It only took about a minute to cut through the soft steel and it did a better job than I would have done with a hacksaw. After cutting the bbl to 20" I cleaned up the muzzle with some emery paper and then steel wool. I cleaned it up with some acetone and then cold blued the end. Didn't turn out to bad IMO.

Is that for going shorter that 18" ;) or would that be a pre ban saw?

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Dont go shorter than 18.5 inches then take a pipe cutter to it
    Are you suggesting the pipe cutter or to stay away from a pipe cutter?

I've never seen a shotgun barrel cut with a pipe cutter that turned out nice. A pipe cutter, by its very nature, deforms the metal, pushing a rim of metal down small than the barrel diameter creating a "lip" at the muzzle. This is no good. Second, most of the time the rollers on a pipe cutter will leave, at a minimum, some sort of trace around the muzzle from where they "rolled".

I would recommend cutting it with either a saw and lightly deburring the muzzle, or using a lathe. I would rather "cut" the material than to "deform it by means of pressure" if it was my shotgun.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Are you suggesting the pipe cutter or to stay away from a pipe cutter?

I've never seen a shotgun barrel cut with a pipe cutter that turned out nice. A pipe cutter, by its very nature, deforms the metal, pushing a rim of metal down small than the barrel diameter creating a "lip" at the muzzle. This is no good. Second, most of the time the rollers on a pipe cutter will leave, at a minimum, some sort of trace around the muzzle from where they "rolled".

I would recommend cutting it with either a saw and lightly deburring the muzzle, or using a lathe. I would rather "cut" the material than to "deform it by means of pressure" if it was my shotgun.

As far as the pipe cutter is concerned, sorry I disagree. depends on how fast you try to cut through :twocents:

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    I agree with AllenM, I have cut at least five barrels with a pipe cutter. Just take it slow and you will end up with a nice clean cut. You can also use a chop saw with a metal cut off wheel as well. Either way just be sure to take your time and cut slow.

Mrmonte

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Indy South Side
    +1 for the pipe cutter! You can check out the barrel I cut in AllenM's INGO Advertiser forum. Its the 12ga Remington 1100. Turned out real nice. I decided against re-choking the barrel as this is primarily a HD type shotgun.

95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    So where do you measure from to the end of the barrel you want cut? The front of the chamber or is the chamber included in barrel length?

Bikerdad61

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Sullivan
    Is that for going shorter that 18" ;) or would that be a pre ban saw?

With a follow up like that this is the first thing I thought of.........

Fozzie-bear.jpg

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    I got mine already cut to 18.5" by previous, previous, owner, the problem is the bead. I can't tell if the hole is threaded as the metal is so thin, but it looks threaded. I tried to get a universal bead with different thread sizes, and none of them fit! It is not ribbed and has no dovetail either so I have no sights, but the hole is lined up perfectly, so it's still easy to aim in full sun.

Top Bottom