• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Unobogus

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    My question is what is your procedure when first starting to reload ammo, for instance .308? How do you choose the first load? How many loads at each powder weight? What increments do you increase your powder? Etc..... I'm still just getting started and I don't know what is the best efficient way to go about this. I know it all depends on bullet type, weight, etc... my main concern is powder and the procedure, not all of the other items.

Snizz1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    50 guys might answer and you might get 50 different responses. A lot will vary on what your trying to accomplish, ie a plinking round, super precise performance, or various handgun applications.

In general I do most of my loading handgun and a little for rifle. Use your load book and start at the "suggested start load." from this point that thing I mentioned about your purpose comes into play. If your going for super precise loads you might work your way up .1 grain, if not you may jump up more. I always use a chronograph to see where I'm at. But as long as your being safe and going by the book do your thing and find out what works.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I usually start with the "suggested start load" and load 5rds. Then increase by .2gr and load load another batch of 5. I do this until all 5 rounds in a batch make the desired PF.

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    Try to start with minimal starting grains according to the data your using, and then its all on you and your preferences. Congrats, you have many fun and entertaining skills and tricks to learn. Just keep at it and before you know it you'll develop your own techniques, after all that's what reloading is for most of us, making your ammo your way designed by your preferences. Good luck. Btw to answer your question I usually increase my grains depending on how close to the max I am. It all depends.

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    Ok, now that I have more time I can elaborate a little bit more, for reference ONLY, today I started a new load for 223. REM for my AR, naturally I had to decide a starting point. Now the data I had on hand in manuals and from various and extensive research tells me with the powder in using ( IMR 4198 ) that I should start at 18.8 and I should never exceed 20.4, now experience tells me I am ok to start a little above suggested starting since I was going to use the suggested minimum OAL, so I went mid-ways with a 19.5 and started from there. Its far enough from max to be considered safe and I'll work up from there as needed depending on recoil felt, how the round performs and by closing watching my casings for signs of overcharging......i hope this helps.

Unobogus

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Spike_351 thanks or taking the time to elaborate. I feel I need to take the time and do the same. Chezuki you kind of touched on what I was actually trying to ask. This is a very detailed site and I guess I need to add more detail to my questions, so here it goes. My questions was intended to be general, not .308 specific, I just used that because I knew someone would say it depends on what caliber, what twist rate.... I didn't mean for it to come off that way, just in general. So Chezuki, mentioned that he loads in .2gr increments batches of 5. This is more of what I was looking for, sorry if I didn't convey that very well. So on that, do you keep doing that and then when you have multiple batches of "5", do you go shoot and see which batch groups the best or do you go shoot that group of 5, check it and then see if you need to even try another batch? Snizz1911, you are correct and I know I'll get a lot of opinions, that's what I use this site for, this is one area that I should have been more specific, yes my question is geared for precision. Thanks for the feedback, it always helps.

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    Spike_351 thanks or taking the time to elaborate. I feel I need to take the time and do the same. Chezuki you kind of touched on what I was actually trying to ask. This is a very detailed site and I guess I need to add more detail to my questions, so here it goes. My questions was intended to be general, not .308 specific, I just used that because I knew someone would say it depends on what caliber, what twist rate.... I didn't mean for it to come off that way, just in general. So Chezuki, mentioned that he loads in .2gr increments batches of 5. This is more of what I was looking for, sorry if I didn't convey that very well. So on that, do you keep doing that and then when you have multiple batches of "5", do you go shoot and see which batch groups the best or do you go shoot that group of 5, check it and then see if you need to even try another batch? Snizz1911, you are correct and I know I'll get a lot of opinions, that's what I use this site for, this is one area that I should have been more specific, yes my question is geared for precision. Thanks for the feedback, it always helps.
    I don't know about chezuki, but personally with my preferences, as far as precision is concerned, I would try going up 0.1 to 0.2 per 5 rounds. Your rate of increase should coincide with how much room for play you have between starting grain and max grain, the larger the distance between the two numbers the more room for increase and "play".

8th SPS USAF

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Hobart , In
    I look up the cal in Hodgon's web site. stay below the max by about 10 + %. Load about 10 rnds for a few different wts, try them.
    If for semi -auto -on the higher wt end ,bolt not so much. Or ask a buddy that you trust his reloads ,what he loads. NEVER trust anything on the net or from someone w/o checking the reloading manual. Good luck

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I always start with the load the sierra manual says is most accurate in their manual. They are always right.

I don't waste time "developing" loads. I strive to improve my ability with a good enough load. And anything 1MOA or less is good enough for matches, self defense, and any other use you might have for a working rifle.

Top Bottom