• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Over the decades of hanging around gun shops and listening to the tall tales, there is something I have heard time and time again, and my uncle just brought it up today.

I've heard that not only is the .30-30 a venerable deer round, it can also be down loaded to use for squirrel hunting.

That's a pretty wide range of uses if you can load that large of a spread.

I'm curious if anyone here has any experience doing this.
    Is it a primer only situation or is there miniscule powder charges involved?
    Do you still use a 150gr bullet?
    If not, how far down can you get a .30cal pill?

So interesting, so many questions...

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    The 30-30 is the most under-rated round in American history. It will mirror the ballistics of a 308 under 300 yards and has taken more deer in the US than any other caliber.

You can slam a 150gn bullet to respectable velocities or download it with Trailboss for a great subsonic suppressed round. If you don’t mind paying for the 30 cal bullets, it’ll knock a squirrel off its feet with very light loads.

I wouldn’t run primer only rounds at all unless you have a 3” barrel. (I jest but not really). Find some Trailboss powder and make the low velocity stuff shine. Just scoop the casing into the powder, shake it off and cap the round with a 180gn RN. Again, kidding, I think the load data is 10.3gns under a 180gn RN.

You can also drop a 231 charge and fill the rest of the case with corn cob. That’ll make for a nice subsonic too, just a bit messy with the filler.

So many ways to use the cartridge, especially on a 336 platform.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    You can slam a 150gn bullet to respectable velocities or download it with Trailboss for a great subsonic suppressed round. If you don’t mind paying for the 30 cal bullets, it’ll knock a squirrel off its feet with very light loads.

Find some Trailboss powder and make the low velocity stuff shine.
    IMG_20230826_204643579.jpg

:D
    Found some

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I have zero reloading experience...but

I vaguely remember reading articles about loading .32 lead round balls with a small powder charge topped with Cream of Wheat.

A chamber adapter is another way to go. I used to have one for a .308 Win that used .32acp rounds. At 50 yards it actually grouped reasonably well. Used it in a single shot. I just found an active web page for MCA, the company that made them, and emailed for info on the .32acp/30-30 adapter. A blued one is $20.00 so worth the try.

Dinny

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 27, 2015
    Trafalgar
    I've played with a number of 30-30 single shot rifles and subsonic loads. Cast bullets are the way to go. No one in their right mind wants to drive a jacketed barrel out of a barrel.

Trail Boss usually produces it's best results with a 90+% case fill. While lesser loads can be used, I have found them to be less consistent.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I like the 30-30 but over the years have had better luck and accuracy with the 32 Special and cast. The brass is an easy reform from 30-30 cases and 32 Specials are usually the lowest priced vintage 1894 caliber.

Judamonster

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2022
    I like the 30-30 but over the years have had better luck and accuracy with the 32 Special and cast. The brass is an easy reform from 30-30 cases and 32 Specials are usually the lowest priced vintage 1894 caliber.
    Do you prefer cast to jacketed? I have zero reloading experience. I bought a 32 winchester special model 94 off the estate of a close friend. Ammo is non existent for it so I will have to reload. I am contemplating casting my own ammo vs buying jacketed bullets.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Do you prefer cast to jacketed? I have zero reloading experience. I bought a 32 winchester special model 94 off the estate of a close friend. Ammo is non existent for it so I will have to reload. I am contemplating casting my own ammo vs buying jacketed bullets.

Cast, the best is the RCBS 170 grain RNFP with a gas check. Case forming is easy, just run a 30-30 case into the 32 special die.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    That's a great find. I have only one lonely canister of TB. Afraid to get to using it up for some squirrel loads, then run out, maybe for good?
    I bought all of that years ago.
    My house burned down 2-1/2 years ago and I never set up a loading station after the move.
    Still living in an apartment for now, so haven't used much of anything.
    I got most of that for like $18-21 per canister.

Top Bottom