How will we communicate when the Internet goes down?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blackdog765

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    In reading the forum here, I get the feeling that many of the folks in here are like minded and survivalists regarding personal safety. I also get the sense that the group is obviously spread around the state and uses this forum as a convenient way to share ideas and to communicate with one another.

I also believe that a critical component of survival during a real melt down would be to communicate with one another and to be organized in responding to a threat. I'm making the assumption the threat would be a large organized attack against either the U.S. or an oppression upon the citizens (for arguments sake).

My extended family has a "loose plan" for where to go during times of trouble - and we assumed that all communication methods would be inoperative during such a situation as previously described. The plan is generally, "get to the Pre-planned location ASAP".

I believe one of the first components to be rendered inoperative would be the Internet. How would the group here communicate and respond in such a situation?

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Many on here have Ham radios. That will get you some decent comms.

My thought is that if the net is down I have bigger problems than talking to someone I don't know half a state away.

We have hand held radios. Can get far enough away and still communicate without lighting a fire. Have a neighbor about 3/4 mile away that has radios as well. Plan to see if we can cross talk.

boozoo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    NE Indy
    Ham radio is always a good option.... especially now that morse code tests are not part of the testing process.

HF for cross-country communications (and global).... VHF/UHF for local.

I have one rig that can do 1.6MHz to 1.2GHz....

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    obama-phones.jpg

OBAMA PHONE!!!!

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Just look to history for your answer. Before 1980 we didn't have hardly any internet communication and we sent men to the moon In 1900 radio communications hadn't been established. Before the telegraph, we managed to communicate.

I feel we have become reliant on the internet and fail to use the older and more personal methods of communication. When was the last time you sat down and wrote a letter to someone? Written communications don't have to be mailed. The letters or information can be passed hand to hand until it reaches the recipient. A message can be passed on verbally.

I think you'll need to establish a network of friends and family to pass messages along if all forms of electronic communications are disabled. Man has done this for over 2,000 years. Also, if all forms of electronic communication and the internet is disabled, there won't be any gasoline or banking. Fresh water distribution will halt rapidly and long distance travel will be next to impossible. We will have to rely on a close by, local group of friends or family.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    If something were to happen all the INGO high ranking officials (Big Boss, the mods, members with over 10K posts, etc) will be evacuated to the INGO underground facility where secured phone lines will allow [STRIKE]us[/STRIKE], I mean them, to communicate with the outside world.
    The bunker is equiped with a secured intranet network so that all the INGO members inside the bunker can still browse INGO like if nothing happened.

I already said too much ...

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    If something were to happen all the INGO high ranking officials (Big Boss, the mods, members with over 10K posts, etc) will be evacuated to the INGO underground facility where secured phone lines will allow [STRIKE]us[/STRIKE], I mean them, to communicate with the outside world.
    The bunker is equiped with a secured intranet network so that all the INGO members inside the bunker can still browse INGO like if nothing happened.

I already said too much ...

Man I need to start spamming the boards to get my count up. I see a lot of people that have high post counts that should not be considered for more than cannon fodder tho.

Somemedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you haven't already procured a family radio walkie talkie set put it on a christmas list.

CBs used to be the cell phones of the seventies, great for traveling and getting info on traffic jams and smokey reports. With a tall enough tower one could be heard without any sort of amplifier.

A good scanner whether hand held or mobile is a great way to at least get some info. Short wave would be also.

TAT7

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    Indianapolis
    We have CB radios, 2 way Cobra radios, and a loose plan like stated above....I think as long as you can talk to your family you are good to go for the "spear" of the meltdown (whatever it may be) after the dust settles though, there will most likely IMO be a makeshift comm. system through travelers and traders. But who knows....I guess we'll find out sooner or later.

Top Bottom