• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I was at the library a couple days ago and this posting caught my eye.

How would you interpret the highlighted section? I'll just leave it open ended.

library_zps63b6ffa2.jpg

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    it there is a public meeting you can not OC..

"IC 35-47-11.1-4
    Not prohibited by chapter
    <snip>
    (6) The enactment or enforcement of a provision prohibiting or restricting the intentional display of a firearm at a public meeting.
    "

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I believe the Westfield library is on school property which would make it in a criminal protection zone. They are just making sure people using the library realize that. Remember, it is very hard to see the two schools on either side of the building. :D

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    it there is a public meeting you can not OC..

"IC 35-47-11.1-4
    Not prohibited by chapter
    <snip>
    (6) The enactment or enforcement of a provision prohibiting or restricting the intentional display of a firearm at a public meeting.
    "
    I would interpret it to mean that you may not do something to display your firearm, ie, uncover it. I don't interpret it to mean no oc, but the courts have not ruled on this yet (that I can find online) and I wouldn't want to be the test case for some over-zealous prosecutor. Too bad we can't get the attorney general to offer his opinion.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    I believe the Westfield library is on school property which would make it in a criminal protection zone. They are just making sure people using the library realize that. Remember, it is very hard to see the two schools on either side of the building. :D
    From google maps, it looks like it is next to a middle school, but has it's own entrance and parking area and is seperated from the school by some woods.:dunno:
    http://maps.google.com/maps?rls=com...=X&ei=BaISUY2jO6iBywHwqoDQCA&ved=0CIIBEPwSMAA

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Intentional display:

To me this sounds like a cowboy pulling back his duster to reveal the pistol in the holster. Basically it's a non-verbal statement of "I'm armed, don't f^$% with me".

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Well, let's look at the rest of the chapter of the IC code and see where else "display" appears.

(4) The enactment or enforcement of generally applicable zoning or business ordinances that apply to firearms businesses to the same degree as other similar businesses. However, a provision of an ordinance that is designed or enforced to effectively restrict or prohibit the sale, purchase, transfer, manufacture, or display of firearms, ammunition, or firearm accessories that is otherwise lawful under the laws of this state is void.

Seems to me that "display" would mean to make visible, as a business displays their wares. Until case law decides one way or the other, seems like you could make a pretty solid argument either way. That merely being visible is a 'display', and that no attempt to garner attention is required since a gun in a glass case isn't being thrust in the limelight, so to speak. However even an OC'd weapon isn't being made visible for the purposes of display any more than the shirt you are wearing, its simply visible.

Seems like case law begging to be made to me.

Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City
    To me it says
    "You are not allowed to have:
    Baselard
    Cinquedea
    Ear dagger
    Großes Messer
    Katara
    Mercygiver
    Poniard
    Rondel
    Scramasax
    Sgian
    Stiletto
    Arming sword
    Shortsword
    Zweihander
    Claymore
    Battle axe
    Club
    Flail
    Mace
    Flanged mace
    Pernach
    Shestopyor
    Maul
    Morning star
    Quarterstaff
    War hammer
    Bec de Corbin
    Horseman's pick
    Bludgeon
    Bardiche
    Bill
    Glaive
    Guisarme
    Halberd
    Lance
    Lochaber Axe
    Lucerne hammer
    Man catcher
    Military fork, the weaponized Pitchfork
    Partisan
    Pike
    Plançon a picot
    Ranseur
    Sovnya
    Spetum
    Swordstaff
    Voulge
    War-scythe
    War hammer
    Bombard
    Bow
    Longbow
    English longbow
    Recurve bow
    Mongol bow
    Crossbow
    Arbalest
    Ballista
    Repeating crossbow
    Lian Nu, a multishot crossbow
    Arquebus
    Culverin
    Sling
    Throwing Weapons
    Francisca
    Nzappa zap
    Tomahawk
    Throwing Spear
    Shuriken
    Chakram

But if you have a carry permit feel free to carry your firearm we just ask that you be courteous to others who are easily scared and conceal your weapon.
    "

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008

Ah, and there's the rub.

Thanks for all the responses.

My first thought upon reading the weapons rule, was that they meant "including" firearms and it was just a typo.

Then I read the next line, which gave me the impression that it was the obligatory reference to SB292.

There are schools on either side, but there's no indication that the library is "school property", as mentioned, it has it's own entrance and parking lot.

When we moved to Westfield, I had my wife nonchalantly ask if the library was part of the school property (I wasn't present) and the person said that the library property was leased from the school. I don't know this for a fact, I haven't actually investigated this further, we just took it at face value. And so when carrying, I've treated it like school propery and made it very obvious - not using a parking spot, waiting in front of the door in my running vehicle - that I was in "pick up and drop off" mode, just in case it came to that.

So from the language of the library rules, it seems that whoever is in charge of making the sign feels like it is a normal publicly owed building and state preemption applies.

:dunno: More investigation needed, I guess.

Top Bottom