• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.
    J

JesusFreak

I'm a relatively new gun owner, but have been around them my whole life. I guess "casual enthusiast" would best describe me. My dad taught me to shoot when I was young (that was a long time ago) and I grew up with at least basic knowledge of safety, maintenance, and how to shoot.

Interesting story on how I became a gun owner. A good friend of mine was the only CCW who attended our church. One morning a couple guys came in that kind of spooked a few people. We get new people all the time but some people got a bit of a bad vibe from them. Turned out to be nothing and they were genuinely good guys with a difficult past after we got to know them, but it got my friend thinking that he wouldn't want to be the only one in the congregation that was armed because "you never know". He approached me and asked if I would be willing to carry if he loaned me one of his sidearms, which I obviously accepted. A few days later he handed me a Ruger Max-9. I didn't carry right away, I took a few weeks to familiarize myself with it, spent time at the range, etc. He passed away suddenly this past fall and his wife asked me to keep the weapon. He had entrusted it to me to protect the church, and she wanted to keep it that way.

I know a lot of people would consider the Max-9 to be a mediocre weapon, but it's my most prized posession and this is why.

I joined here to meet people, gain some technical & tactical knowledge, and maybe do a little trading.

Midwestjimbo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Highland
    Welcome from NWI. Any weapon you know and trust is a good choice. Plus sentimental value, you’re golden. You will learn a lot here.

2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment
    Great story. Your church was blessed to have the two of you as members.
    No matter where life leads you, always cherish the trust your friend bestowed in you.

Welcome to our highly functional dysfunctional family.
    From Lowellabama.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom