• ...and so much more!
  • SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Retired Green Beret shoots intruder, gets court martial

BREVARD, NC Jan. 19, – Retired Army Green Beret Smokey Taylor got his court martial this weekend and came away feeling good about it. Taylor, at age 80 the oldest member of Chapter XXXIII of the Special Forces Association, was on trial by his peers under the charge of “failing to use a weapon of sufficient caliber” in the shooting of an intruder at his home in Knoxville, TN, in December.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1962059/posts

Last edited by a moderator:

Rocket57

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    In denial
    That .22 'right between the eyes' probably stopped the perp better than a 9mm or even .45 to the body that didn't hit an artery or major organ. Shot placement trumps caliber?

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    That .22 'right between the eyes' probably stopped the perp better than a 9mm or even .45 to the body that didn't hit an artery or major organ. Shot placement trumps caliber?
    shot placement always trumphs caliber, defending yourself doesn't matter if you can't hit your target. A shot to the head of 22 is more dangerous than a 9 or 45 through the foot.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Fun story!

Did we miss the part about the bullet bouncing off and not penetrating beyond the skin? Shot placement, sure, but no penetration=much less of a chance of stopping the threat.

Seriously, I've seen some tests of CCI Stingers and Velocitors and what penetrates very well, to 12" and expands from a rifle barrel will not expand from a pistol barrel and will either overpenetrate or not penetrate at all, unpredictably.

Examples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbVY4gT5P20

I personally needed 2 shots to kill a possum shot in the "kill zone" using Stingers from an M&P 22 pistol at very short range.

Last edited:

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    I think his logic was brilliant. As it was, the perp got caught and he didn't have to clean blood, skull and brains from his wall. The perfect compromise!

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    80 year old Green Berets are still badazz. Carry on Smokey. :patriot:

Redtbird

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Monroe County
    Quote: "...the perp had soiled his pants as he crawled out of the house." End Quote

Loved this part of the story. Dude got the s*** scared out of him. It may be a long time before he tries to rob someone else. :D

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Now where is that dang INGO thread go where people were saying that the .22 was sufficient for self defense?

JasonB

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2013
    Pittsboro, IN
    I think his logic was brilliant. As it was, the perp got caught and he didn't have to clean blood, skull and brains from his wall. The perfect compromise!

I agree less cleaning to do... Brain matter on front porch would suck...

Some must not have read as it was actually applauded for accuracy... Got the idiots attention... Had at least 5 more waiting in his little revolver...

Retired 79yr old... If he's comfortable with .22lr with his service record I salute him, and only have to ask why his neighbors weren't at their doors with larger calibers ensuring the worthless blob of human flesh attempting to break in didn't make it to the curb after the first shot.

:twocents::patriot::twocents: We should only hope and pray more older gentlemen have the same or better results if similar situations happen.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    He's pushing 80, he's fine to carry whatever he wants. His hands may not be up to the task of carrying a larger caliber.

I'd like to point out this line from the article, though:

If he’d used a .45 or something like that the round would have gone right through the perp, the wall, the neighbor’s wall and possibly injured some innocent child asleep in its bed.

Them's some hot .45s...

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I know there are tons of confirmed stories of felons being shot multiple times, some hits fatal and they still keep coming. Drugs or Dinosaur brains, either way that would be some scary crap.

But I know the .22 is super destructive. I saw Rizzoli & Isles tonight and it opened with a deadly head shot from 70 yards. Using the Henry US survival (sniper) rifle (it was the sniper version because it had a scope on it). Once assembled of course.

Top Bottom