• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ifmurphy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Bloomington, IN
    I'm not sure if anyone has heard about this, but congress is attempting to pass a bill with post haste which will outlaw organic farming. Basically making the Chemical and Genetic research corporation Monsanto in charge of what we eat.

This includes small farms and home gardens. You would not be able to grow tomatoes legally without spraying them with whatever chemicals, pesticides, etc. that this corporation tells you to.

The bill would also include stipulations on small farms about keeping paperwork on animals. Each small farm would have to purchase a machine that would systematically keep track of all animals...whereas large corporate farms would only have to keep tabs on 1 in 800 animals.

I'm calling bull****.

This is outrageous. We have the right to grow and eat what we want and no one can tell us differently.

Please take the time to write your representative and voice your opinion on this matter. It is very important that we are able to grow our own food how we wish to do as such.

I know that I don't want anyone telling me what and what not to eat.

Thanks for your time.

xamsx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    NW
    Yeah, it really is bullsh*t.. and sickening to think about.

This will mean even home garden owners, small farms, etc. who grow their own organic fruits & veggies will forcefully be subject to Monsanto's mind-dumbing, hazardous to your body, poisons.. No matter how minute the amount may be.

What really aggrivates me is seeing the Monsanto commericials being aired on tv now.. I've heard a few radio advertisements as well. They show smiling farmers and lush growing fields, and talk about farming pride and how it's what keeps America going, and a bunch of other stuff.. when in reality, Monsanto is a farmer's worst nightmare come true.

Everyone who's unfamiliar with Monsanto and what they do needs to watch 'The World According To Monsanto', 'Food Inc.', and 'The Future Of Food'. Look them up on Google Video.

Last edited:

xamsx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    NW
    H.R.875: Food Safety Modernization Act of 2009 - U.S. Congress - OpenCongress

I think it's important to note that the Bill's sponser is Rosa Delauro of Connecticut. She is married to political strategist Stan Greenberg. One of his clients is the Monsanto Corporation.

Companies like Monsanto are invading our food and seed supplies. They have successfully obtained patents for GMO seeds and have cornered the market on seed sales. They have sued farmers for harvesting and using seeds from their own corn because it was accidentally cross-pollinated with their varieties.

This bill has nothing to do with food safety. That's just how they're going to sell it to everyone..

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    Okay, someone needs to tell me where I can read the part about requiring me to spray pesticides of a paticular brand on my garden. Am I missing something? Nothing I have read by the provided links suggests anything to this nature. If this were to be true, I would definitely be on the war march. I need more information.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Along these same lines, this is the same kind of stuff talked about in the movie "Food,Inc.". You HAVE to see this movie, you will never see your food the same way. I am currently reading the companion book under the same title. VERY scary stuff. You fear big government??? You should also fear big food. This bill (if true) is just the tip of the iceberg. The web site is also very informative.
    Official Food, Inc. Movie Site - Hungry For Change?

in_betts

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    North of FW
    I too didn't see any relevance to personal food growth. It would (it seems) be very caustic to the ma and pa operations doing specialty stuff. As you said the bill isn't about safety, its about power. More power under DHS and in the gov't hands is BAD MOJO and this bill seemed to have been flying under the radar of healthcrap and cap-n-tax being the headline grabbers. I did hear some about it over a month ago but it was misleading at the time.

Thansk for the links and info.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    Thanks Rambone..that post hit me a bit harder and related more to the OP's point. That being said, if someone even thinks about coming on to my land and telling me I have to spray some crap on my personal garden, well, I guess I'll just start chuckin; tomatoes at them. Or maybe whip out the potato gun. Deep bruising from fruits and vegetables!!!.....In all seriousness, the provisoins of this legislation is truly horrifying. Before you know it, we'll be growing peppers in our closet to avoid the "war on organic fruits and vegetables."

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    I can't remember the name of the movie I watch but it had to do with seed companies finally being able to obtain patents on seed. They genetically modified their seeds to be immune to weed sprays. They would go around accusing farms of using their seeds without purchase. Guess what. The only way to test was to spray the crop. This corporation was suing farms and winning.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    That was Food,Inc...a great movie.

I can't remember the name of the movie I watch but it had to do with seed companies finally being able to obtain patents on seed. They genetically modified their seeds to be immune to weed sprays. They would go around accusing farms of using their seeds without purchase. Guess what. The only way to test was to spray the crop. This corporation was suing farms and winning.

Top Bottom