• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kirkwood

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    Bloomington
    David Huckabee, a son of Republican presidential candidate Mike Huckabee, was arrested at an Arkansas airport Thursday after a federal X-ray technician detected a loaded Glock pistol in his carry-on luggage.

"I removed the bag and asked Mr. Huckabee if he knew what he had in the bag," Little Rock police officer Arthur Nugent wrote in a report after being summoned to a security checkpoint. "He replied he did now."

Huckabee, 26, later pleaded guilty in Little Rock District Court after being charged with a misdemeanor count of possessing a weapon in a prohibited place.

"It was a silly mistake," Huckabee told reporters as he left the Pulaski County Jail. When asked whether it would affect his father's presidential campaign, Huckabee responded, "It shouldn't."

District Judge Lee Munson gave Huckabee a one-year suspended jail sentence and ordered him into 10 days of community service which Huckabee can avoid by paying $100. Huckabee will be on probation for a year. Fines and costs totaled $855.

The son of the former Arkansas governor held a concealed weapons permit at the time of the incident but state police are taking steps to revoke it. The elder Huckabee, who said last week that Virginia Tech gunman Seung-Hui Cho perhaps could have been stopped if a teacher or student had also been armed, also has a concealed weapons permit.

"My wife and I love our son. What he did was irresponsible but not intentional," Mike Huckabee said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press.

Nugent said David Huckabee had a .40-caliber Glock pistol in his black carry-on bag. Eight live rounds were in the gun none in the chamber and a nine-round clip was also in the bag. The weapon and ammunition were detained by Little Rock police while David Huckabee's gun permit was seized and given to the Arkansas State Police.

Mike Huckabee said his son grabbed the bag on the way to the airport and didn't realize the gun was inside.
    "It's one of those stupid things," Mike Huckabee said. "He knows better."

ABC News: Huckabee's Son Arrested With Handgun

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Sounds like just a stupid mistake. When its your daily ritual its hard to remember things like that. Poor kid.

Bad timing too, lol.

I actually LIKE the fact that Huckabee's son has his CCW. (or HAD) Makes me respect Mr. Huckabee even more.

Paul

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Brownsburg
    Sounds like just a stupid mistake. When its your daily ritual its hard to remember things like that. Poor kid.

Bad timing too, lol.

I actually LIKE the fact that Huckabee's son has his CCW. (or HAD) Makes me respect Mr. Huckabee even more.

+1 on that. I want a pro-2nd amendment president

Dave

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    Carmel
    I really like it as well. :thumbsup:

Bad timing too, lol.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Well, by pleaing guilty he will never be allowed to own or touch ANY gun ever again.

He needed a better lawyer.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I am no lawyer, but I am pretty sure this screws him.

Hopefully our resident attorney will chime in, Kirk knows this stuff very well.

Depends on what Arkansas law specifies as potential punishment. Federal law defines a felony as an offense for which you could have received more that one year imprisonment. One year + one day is a federal felony and would be a disqualifying condition, regardless of whether the state called it a felony or misdemeanor. A year or less potential imprisonment does not disqualify you for federal purposes, regardless of how the state classifies it.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Don't forget that John Hostettler got into exactly the same jam at an airport in Kentucky and also plead guilty to a midemeanor. He did not lose his gun right, and I don't believe he lost his Indiana License to Carry Handgun.

He did lose his seat in Congress, though.

Whether or not Huckabee loses his gun rights depends on Arkansas law. I doubt if this will be a long term burden to him.

TraderJack

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Dumb mistake with the operative word being DUMB!
    Yeah, he knows better - and he should have not been so ignorant/arrogant/stupid to put his dad in jeopardy and put his own rights in jeopardy!

"The son of the former Arkansas governor held a concealed weapons permit at the time of the incident but state police are taking steps to revoke it."

He's toast! Little things like this give CCW a very bad name. The antis will say, 'If he doesn't know that he's carrying a loaded gun in his luggage, how do these gun people expect us to trust them?'

Bad juju!

Top Bottom