Humanitarian Daily Ration - MRE type any good?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I wouldn't mind getting some more MREs as my stock is aging. But at $80-$120 a case they are getting pricey. Atlantic has the Humanitarian Daily Ration version for $49.99 a case. Each pack has two entrees and assorted sides, etc. They are meant to be a full day's food.

Traditional MREs run 1,200 calories per meal pack, 12 meals per case, 14,400 calories per case.
    Humanitarian MREs run 2,200 per meal pack, 10 meals packs per case, 22,000 calories per case.

So half the price and 50% more calories. Yeah they are veggie but seems like a good part of a wider stash. Has anyone eaten these and if so can you report on taste, etc?

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Well found them on Amazon for $52 and free shipping (Atlantic was charging $18 to ship) so I ordered a single case. Looks like a lot of carbs and probably added sugars in the pastries and bread items to boost the calorie count. Seems traditional MRE entrees are still reasonable and that might be the route to go. i dont want a ton of these nor are they for a month long E&E through the wilderness. I see them as an added variety to the economical "rice & beans" backbone.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Keep in mind HDRs were developed because MREs are a bit much for a population that is actually starving. Those came along (IIRC) early in Enduring Freedom. Pushed them out of C-17s in giant tri-wall boxes so they hit the slipstream and scattered.

Also cut down on the numbers of people killed by pallets of food. Lets face it, Big Blue killed more in the Balkans dropping food than dropping bombs.

Kevin9443

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2022
    Indianapolis
    I bought a couple of cases off Ebay for $54 each, and they are pretty much the MRE without the meat. Lentils, beans, rice etc. I am sure because not all cultures can eat meat (or what may be meat). We opened one up and they are pretty darn good overall. Has pop tarts, crackers and other things you would normally get in the standard MRE's. Would be a luxury meal in the time of need. There are 10 per case, so about $5 per meal/per day. I would say if you did not want to spend on real MRE's or Dried food, these would be a great way to stock up and good for a budget. And it has 3 meals in one pack.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    My case of test meals arrived yesterday. I plan on getting into them and trying at least one of each. If they are acceptable I will probably order a few cases. I don't stock a lot of MREs but my Apack group buy meals are 5 years old and a couple cases are nice to have in rotation.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    I am sure because not all cultures can will eat meat...
    Well I would imagine eating meat (whatever variety) might have to do with how hungry (starving) you really are.

It would have taken some deeply held religious beliefs to not eat pork when on starvation diets in concentration camps.

Certainly would reveal who the real Vegans are and those that claim to be Vegan for fashion purposes.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    I've ate them.. thought they were absolutely terrible. Ones inhas basically just had crackers rice and beans. They were made to not offend anytime of religion so not meat option. Not even candy

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Lots of ways of prepping, and no matter how food tastes, it gets really tasty if you are very hungry.

There are lots of places giving advice and lots of places making big bucks from selling food kits. Look up some old school youtube channels like "Goshen prepping" or some of the other traditional farm food storage tips. Many methods have been forgotten about.

I lean toward a variety of methods, home made and commercially prepared.

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    177   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    I know this is a bit of an old thread but I thought it is still relevant.

How did these turn out?
    Any other good options & good sources?

I hadn't really thought much about these until recently. They seem handy for day hikes or when we have had disasters (tornado, flood) it would have been nice to have an easy hot meal while putting things back together.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    Home canned food is my primary source with store bought cans and dry goods second then I have a few cases of Omeals that I take for lunch on occasion since I work outside. Keeps them rotated due to their 3-5 year shelf life. Then I have a couple buckets of the freeze dried stuff as last resort.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    I've had to eat these.. They're terrible for taste. Definitely made just to keep ya alive. If ya can just get regular mre's

31ST MEUSOC

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2023
    PA
    I don't know if they have changed but if I remember they where bigger than MREs more food inside as I recall back in the day.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I'm sold old I ate C rations. The pound cake soaked in rum was quite good if you just happen to sneak a flask or two on missions for disinfecting water of course.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    There are more calories in an HDR than a regular MRE.

I bought two cases a while back and haven't made it to the second case yet. They're not great. The cookies, crackers, and pop tarts are fine, but the entrees are pretty terrible. Basically just rice and beans, or tomato sauce and peas (blegh). Better if you can find some way to heat them.

Top Bottom