• ...and so much more!
  • TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Start by controlling the humidity/environment of the space where the safe is located. If you still want more a golden rod provides the easiest solution. If you like to bake things on a regular basis, then silicone desiccant packs work well also.

However, start with the room and monitor the safe with a humidity meter before trying the other methods.

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    Thanks for the replies.
    Presently the safe is in a finished basement.
    It is in a closed room that has a HVAC register in the dropped ceiling
    The house has central AC.
    I have a dehumidifier in the basement set at 50%
    Do you think this is acceptable ?

That should be fine. My setup is pretty much the same, and I've had no issues with humidity. I always hang a Damp-Rid pack in the room as well, as an extra level of notification. And you can't go wrong with a few palm-sized packs of desiccant in the safe as an added precaution. They are super cheap on Amazon and eBay.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    I use a Hornady moisture absorbing canister. 35 bucks at TSC. When it has absorbed its limits the stuff inside turns purple I think. Its never happened but if when it does you bake it in the oven and that recharges it. Seems to work. Haven't had any rust issues. Probably just a desiccant pack inside but it is reusable and looks nicer sitting there than a desiccant bag.

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    I use these
    https://www.eva-dry.com/product/eva-dry-air-dry-system-bundle/ these I recharge about every 3 months in summer. 2 of them these only take an hour to recharge. Which is nice compared to other products.

This I empty every other month but it never gets full. It also puts off a decent amount of heat so it's always 10-15f over ambient inside my safe. And it keeps air moving inside the safe.

The humidity in it never goes over 34%.

BrassBandit

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2016
    Brownsburg
    Thanks for the replies.
    50% is absolutely fine. If it gets around 60% I’d maybe want to do something. Get one of those cheap temp/humidity gauges and stick in the safe and check it periodically, but I honestly wouldn’t worry too much if you have a dehumidifier in your basement.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    For 25-45 bucks you can buy a Goldenrod that plugs in and will take care of excess humidity in your safe. Just order the correct size, I usually order them off Amazon.
    You want the inside if the vault warmer than the outside of it. The moisture migrates to the outside of the vault.
    Get one by Goldenrod. Money well spent.

Last edited:

Bombryder

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Oct 22, 2020
    Valparaiso
    I'd buy the biggest golden rod you can fit, the reusable desiccant tubs, and maybe a temp/humidity monitor. I've got a 3 sensor one that can send me notifications when the humidity is over 60% in my safes (means it is time to refresh the dessicants). Have one in each safe and one out of the safes in the same room as a control. Its a little overboard but hey I'm just trying to protect my stuff. Screenshot_20220731-214454_Govee Home.jpg

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Just what I do, I put a clean tin can full of small bags of -do not eat- that I get for free, in the dark place, they come in about every piece of junk my wife orders off the www. Once a year thereabouts I nuke’em in the microwave for a minute and they’re good for another year. That’s just my way, ymmv. Good luck with whatever way you choose.

JTClark

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2022
    America
    Thanks for the replies.
    Yes

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    What do members do to control the humidity in your Gun Safes ?
    1659354652116.png
    Dollar Tree has these I switch out once they get full. They keep the moisture away. Just check it once a month. I've not had any problems and I've used them for several years. I also use them in my ammunition containers.

$1.25 each.

Top Bottom