• ...and so much more!
  • indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Late to the party, apparently. Didn't realize it was past time. Put the feeder out 2 hours ago, just saw my 1st visitor of the year.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Just one so far hanging around. Was hoping to get my limit and grill them with bacon bits. Can't use normal bacon like dove or owl breasts.
    Okok. The first sentence is true.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Hummers are few and far between in Southern Warrick county,,. Goldfinches are non-existent too,..after eating me out of house and home early spring.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    we went from 4 or 5 this morning to 15 or more(hard to count them)this evening had 2 feeders now we have 5..

when they all get back we will have 8 feeders out and go through 10 pounds of sugar a week

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    I mixed 1 cup sugar with quart an half of water. They must not like that much sugar. The store bought stuff is ridiculously priced also with bird seed.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    I mixed 1 cup sugar with quart an half of water. They must not like that much sugar. The store bought stuff is ridiculously priced also with bird seed.
    1 cup of sugar to 1 quart of water has been my recipe since May. They seem to like it here. :dunno:

Have stopped using small suet blocks here. They've went from 80 cents each to $1.60 here. Sticking with sunflower seeds only now. Might go back using them in the cold weather.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    1 cup of sugar to 1 quart of water has been my recipe since May. They seem to like it here. :dunno:

Have stopped using small suet blocks here. They've went from 80 cents each to $1.60 here. Sticking with sunflower seeds only now. Might go back using them in the cold weather.
    Same ratio for us. Have never bought store bought and never put coloring in it.

The Hummers have been really active the last couple of days. They've been fighting over one feeder for some reason, probably 6 of them constantly fighting at that one feeder.

SMHurt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    We had over 20 hummers yesterday and wife is changing out feeders a couple times per day. Its a big hobby and commitment for her to take care of her birds.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    Same ratio for us. Have never bought store bought and never put coloring in it.

The Hummers have been really active the last couple of days. They've been fighting over one feeder for some reason, probably 6 of them constantly fighting at that one feeder.
    Have 3 feeders they like the most and are constantly full and always fighting for them. Don't understand why, they're all mixed the same.

Haven't ever used store bought either. My dad got me started doing this and always, I mean ALWAYS, would remind me that the hummers couldn't digest the food coloring and could kill them after time. Definitely no store bought for me.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Have 3 feeders they like the most and are constantly full and always fighting for them. Don't understand why, they're all mixed the same.

Haven't ever used store bought either. My dad got me started doing this and always, I mean ALWAYS, would remind me that the hummers couldn't digest the food coloring and could kill them after time. Definitely no store bought for me.
    I had no idea they couldn't digest the coloring. It makes sense, the coloring wrecks our bodies, no surprise it would hurt a little hummingbird.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    We had over 20 hummers yesterday and wife is changing out feeders a couple times per day. Its a big hobby and commitment for her to take care of her birds.
    It's definitely a big commitment. Isn't so bad at the beginning of the year being every 2-3 days between refills. This time of year is every day and becomes taxing when spending a hour or so a day for refills. It is what it is. They know where to get fed and I enjoy watching them dogfight and chase each other.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I’m going through about 400 ounces of food every three days. I use filtered water to mix up the food as I doubt that the fluoride and other additives in tap water could be good for the birds

Top Bottom