• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rick Mason

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2019
    Lake County
    Hundreds of Thousands of Indiana Gun Buyers’ Private Info at Risk of Disclosure <<<< Link

Gun Owners of America’s Aidan Johnson addressed the issue on X, noting that a lawsuit resulted in Acquisition and Distribution (A&D) books from an Indiana Cabela’s being turned over to the government. He pointed out that A&D books from an Indiana Bass Pro Shop could soon be turned over as well.

Looked and did not see this posted on any forum.

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    Pretty sure this is in regards to the same case:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Hundreds of Thousands of Indiana Gun Buyers’ Private Info at Risk of Disclosure <<<< Link

Gun Owners of America’s Aidan Johnson addressed the issue on X, noting that a lawsuit resulted in Acquisition and Distribution (A&D) books from an Indiana Cabela’s being turned over to the government. He pointed out that A&D books from an Indiana Bass Pro Shop could soon be turned over as well.

Looked and did not see this posted on any forum.
    I'm confused. The blurb you quoted from the article says the books were turned over to the government, meaning (to me) the ATF. But in the thread posted by Basher, it sounds like they were turned over to the Brady group? Being turned over to Brady (not the government) is particularly concerning. But books are turned over to the ATF every time an FFL goes out of business, so that's not unprecedented.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Gary, Indiana has been looking for any excuse to sue anyone else but themselves since I was old enough to buy guns. I remember signing petitions and writing letters to defend local gun shops like Westforths and Jim Schema's clear back when my '79 AMC Spirit was a brand new car.

Gary has had an out of control crime problem ever since 1967. The blame has always rested in city hall, not the law abiding citizens around them.

Rick Mason

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2019
    Lake County
    I'm confused. The blurb you quoted from the article says the books were turned over to the government, meaning (to me) the ATF. But in the thread posted by Basher, it sounds like they were turned over to the Brady group? Being turned over to Brady (not the government) is particularly concerning. But books are turned over to the ATF every time an FFL goes out of business, so that's not unprecedented.
    I was hoping someone here could provide more clarity

Chewie

Old, Tired, Grumpy, Skeptical
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Martinsville
    That is optional supposedly. I always put it on otherwise I sometimes have to wait the 3 days.
    Optional? Yes, but trust me they know who you are anyway so it doesn't hurt anything.
    I proved SSN for 2 reasons.
    1. Helps avoid the "delayed" from NICS.
    2. They will know anyway.

chadm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 30, 2016
    West side of Indy
    I never provide my ssn. That only seems to be a problem if you have a common name. John Smith. Bob Bell. Jack Adams.

And I’ve never had to wait more than a few minutes for my guns.

loudgroove

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2023
    Lagrange Indiana
    I usually put mime on, my first name is about the most popular name for a guy in the world. While variations seem to be popular with both genders. lol. However, my last name seems to only be popular in Indiana, Ohio and Pennsylvania. Back in the Myspace days, I ran into a guy with the same full name and about the same age as me. He spelled his middle name different than me, I'm a few months older and he is a little taller, but basic descriptions are similar.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    1) This exactly why I choose private sales over a 4473 90% of the time. ~80% of my collection is composed of private sales. I am patient and will wait for what I want to come up in the classifieds...I have not been disappointed thus far.
    2) For the 4473s I have done in the past, my SSN is not on any one of them and I have never been delayed or refused. That said, my last name is rather unique. YMMV.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    My last name is Smith, I had my ID stolen years ago...so I have a UPIN, and I put my SSN on the form, this too, is why I prefer private sales....

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    As others have said when it comes to buying guns I would rather do a face-to-face with someone from the classifieds here then fill out a 4473. Part of that is also because regardless the fact that I have a C&R FFL, multiple tax stamps, lifetime carry permit I still get delayed even with a UPIN...

Top Bottom