• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    I don't think that buck is pissed. He's trying to get whatever it is he sees to move so he can better identify it. See deer do this all the time when they know you are there and they just aren't sure what you are.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    I don't think that buck is pissed. He's trying to get whatever it is he sees to move so he can better identify it. See deer do this all the time when they know you are there and they just aren't sure what you are.

Agreed*** The buck is trying to get the human to move to figure it what it is. IF the hunter actually did scare the doe off the buck would not stick around and would simply continue to pursue the doe.

Saw this in FaceBook and it is a neat video..

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Dad always said a deer will give between 3 and 15 seconds to shoot it before it will flee. From the time they stomp the front leg. The tail goes up and one thousand one one thousand two one thousand three ect. Now in the true rut with a buck breeding a doe they can even charge you if they think you are another buck coming for the doe. I have had it happen and meat in the freezer. Outside of rut a buck mainly will just ghost away using cover not really run. Does seem to be very nervous at all times of the year. Someone said if you had snorted the buck will charge. Nope watch the wheeze he does three times. He is smelling for something. He does not have it in danger mode at first. That buck knows something is not right.
    I have even setup my still hunting rifle to be able to shoot quickly as I love to still hunt. The less aware of the danger presented the longer the time to shoot. First couple of days in the stand. Rest on foot or with my sling seat. Slow and steady like a snapping turtle.

This season stunk as the area is common family ground and had seen so much pressure that nothing was at ease. Only shot at one buck and it was full bodied deer at 75 yards first light leaving the area fourth day of gun season. Nice meat but the rack was underwhelming for me. Mature deer 174 field dressed but one can tell when you would normally see lots of deer movement and that was the only deer I had seen at all.

Top Bottom