• ...and so much more!
  • Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    Online Hunters Ed is not acceptable

The "online" class for Hunters Ed does not satisfy their license.

Here is the email I got back:

Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or a similar agency of another state is acceptable. However, a course taken online would not be acceptable. Listed below are other options:

Demonstrates competence with a firearm by any one of the following:

1. Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or a similar agency of another state;

2. Completion of any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;

3. Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school, utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association, Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission, or the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services;

4. Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;

5. Presents evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or military service;

6. Is licensed or has been licensed to carry a firearm in this state or a county or municipality of this state, unless such license has been revoked for cause; or

7. Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association certified firearms instructor;

A photocopy of a certificate of completion of any of the courses or classes; or an affidavit from the instructor, school, club, organization, or group that conducted or taught said course or class attesting to the completion of the course or class by the applicant; or a copy of any document which shows completion of the course or class or evidences participation in firearms competition shall constitute evidence of qualification under this paragraph; any person who conducts a course pursuant to subparagraph 2., subparagraph 3., or subparagraph 7., or who, as an instructor, attests to the completion of such courses, must maintain records certifying that he or she observed the student safely handle and discharge the firearm.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact us at 850/245-5691.

Mamie L. Johnson
    Compliance Officer
    Division of Licensing
    Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services

~Jeff~

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Thanks for the info. I suppose that makes sense especially this part

"must maintain records certifying that he or she observed the student safely handle and discharge the firearm"

but it is somewhat contradictory when the say

" Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or a similar agency of another state"

Completing the online course satisfies Indiana's requirement for hunters safety.

I plan on taking another class anyway so it's not deal breaker for me but it is somewhat confusing to say the least.

Kaardomos

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    Milltown, Indiana
    Will the online version of the course actually work? Florida says that you have to provide "your instructor’s name, your instructor’s qualifications/credentials (National Rifle Association instructor, law enforcement firearms instructor, Class “K” Firearm Instructor licensed by the State of Florida, etc.), and your instructor’s license/certification number."

It doesn't seem like you'll be able to meet that requirement for an online course.

--Bill

Yes, the online course works( As of last year), as I used it for mine.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    This is a very interesting thread. Reading the rules and response given to Hoosier, I would interpret them to mean that an on-line course is not sufficient. After seeing the on-line card I would also make that same assumption since no instructor is listed. However the credential does in fact seem to meet the requirement. That leads me to believe that the people filing the paperwork either don't know any better or don't care. This could either be good or bad for us.

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    Kaardomos do you remember if you submitted a photocopy of your card when applying? Thats the exact card I have.

I am not sure what the difference between the in class course and the online course is. I did not know they did anything different between the two. Did they do live fire in the standard class?

Last edited:

~Jeff~

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Kaardomos do you remember if you submitted a photocopy of your card when applying? Thats the exact card I have.

I am not sure what the difference between the in class course and the online course is. I did not know they did anything different between the two. Did they do live fire in the standard class?

That's exactly what I was wandering.

I'm taking the online course anyway. You don't have to pay till you pass so there's nothing to lose and it's good study material anyway.

Kaardomos

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    Milltown, Indiana

Yes, I did.

Also, the person who replied to you is full of crap. Here is the statute for Concealed Weapons Permits. Nowhere does it mention live fire.

Also, Florida uses the same online test as Indiana.

Last edited:

Six Forty-Two

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    W. Lafayette
    In the email reply, #5 mentions participation in an organized shooting competition. So does that mean shooting a USPSA or IDPA match meet the requirements?

Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    This is incorrect. The DNR Hunter's Ed online will indeed suffice for a Florida non-resident permit. That's exactly how I obtained mine.

nate1865

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Indiana
    OP is incorrect, I have successfully used my Hunters Ed card in the past to secure my Florida nonresident permit.

Last edited:

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    Sorry guys/gals. Not trying to mislead anyone or tell you wrong. I was just trying to get all my facts straight before I applied. I went on what they told me. I do not see why they would not accept it.
    Now the question at hand is, whether my money would be held in limbo because someone has changed their mind on the online version? Personally I think I will just take a saturday class, meet some ingo members, and cover all bases.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    In the email reply, #5 mentions participation in an organized shooting competition. So does that mean shooting a USPSA or IDPA match meet the requirements?

It certainly should. Or CMP Rimfire sporter match. Appleseed training counts too. Just get something from the match director as proof of competing.

Top Bottom