• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Here's an article that was published in the Fort Wayne Journal Gazette yesterday. I had the reporter out to my house and not only did he shoot his first gun ever, he shot his first suppressed pistol, machine gun, and suppressed machine gun. I thought it was a great chance to show the positive side of silencer use and tell the general population about the value of silencers.

The Brady Bunch quote was laughable. You would think that all gun crimes include a silencer, when in fact there have been only a handful of convictions that included the use of a silencer since 1934.

Requests for silencers on rise | FortWayne.com - Fort Wayne IN

Beowulf

Master
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    It seems like the author conflated automatic weapons and suppressors, which is odd, since I think any 12-year-old kid whose never even held a gun before wouldn't have that trouble.

I guess some people live in very sheltered worlds.

But definitely nice job on getting the proper message out, even through the heavy muddling by the normal media filter.

David Rose

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 11, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I liked the picture in the paper with the caption aboutautomatic weapons for sale. If you look closely you can see on the sign posted next to the Kriss “NOT FOR SALE”.

You’ve got to love the media. Dumb, dishonest or both?

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    I thought the article sucked. It was poorly written and full of half truths and misinformation. It is obvious to me that the writer had very little education regarding terminology. He should have let one of his interviewees edit the article for him. Or I would have been happy to do it.

For example:
    Anyone can go out and get a .22-caliber suppressor, as long as they wait a little bit on (approval from) the ATF,”

Would lead ignorant people to believe that they can only procure a .22 caliber suppressor, and the words .22-caliber should have been omitted.

And this part: Allen County Sheriff Ken Fries fielded requests from 17 people who wanted to own automatic weapons. --Are they wanting to own automatic weapons, or class 3/ NFA in general?

This is especially misleading: Anyone who wants to own an automatic weapon in which silencers and suppressors are included
    And then here:
    In 2011, the requests to Fries for such weapons more than doubled to 41.

“Most want to buy silencers,” he said. “That’s what they’re doing now.”

Leads people to believe that the suppressor itself is a weapon, when the perception we are trying to impart is that it is a tool and a safety device, not a weapon.

Last edited:

SixSigmaLarry

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   1
    Jan 3, 2010
    NE Indiana
    I liked the write up. I'm just glad that the message was mostly positive.

Steve glad you were able to contribute and attempt to educate people on the truths behind suppressors!

Top Bottom