• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    I'm looking for a recommendation.

I'm going on a hog hunt next month in SC in a swampy, very wet, muddy area.

So, I need some knee high or close rubber boots. What do yall like? Lacrosse seem good but I don't have any experience with them. I just use regular Rocky hunting boots or Merrills when hunting in IN.

Don't think I'll need insulation for SC in April.

Thanks.

gvsugod

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   1
    Mar 19, 2012
    SW Indianapolis
    I have a pair of Gander's Guide Series Fanatic II. I really like them, walked 3 miles in snow and thick pines one day, farthest trek in them so far and they were great.

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    First year I ever went hunting in Alaska I had a pair of Lacrosse boots. They worked fine in Indiana but during some more arduous caribou hunting they let me down. The seams leaked after a few days, they were relatively heavy on long walks, and I didn't care for them. The air taxi pilot said pretty much everyone up there wears xtratuf boots. Bought a pair and have had them on 5 subsequent trips and countless outings in Indiana.

They are phenomenal boots. If you research them you'll see how popular they are with people that spend a lot of time in bad weather in harsh places.

I haven't bought any in years so I'm not sure what their new models are but myself and friends who have bought them would not buy another boot of this type.

Home. Here is their site.

i wear different boots for upland hunting, etc but these are perfect for swampy wet places.

Last edited:

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I am another Muck fan, someone mentioned them getting cut up and things. This is possible with dealing with lots of thorns and thick brush, but I have insulated and non. Both are great, and the insulated are fantastic when it's fairly cold. If you are going to be doing tons of walking and not treading constantly through ankle deep water, a nice set of GoreTex boots might be of better benefit to you if you can swing it!

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    Xtratufs are THE rubber boot. They aren't popular outside of a few niches, which is evidence that most people don't hit their boots hard enough to wring out the differences.

Truth. Many boots will work just fine for general purpose applications. Xtratuff boots work perfectly for the most harsh applications.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    South Carolina in the spring? Might want to think about a pair of snake chaps too! I know hunting in the swamps of NC during spring gobbler and fall bow season you had to wear chaps. It's an scary feeling walking through the woods in the dark and hearing that rattle and then feeling a blow to your leg.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    South Carolina in the spring? Might want to think about a pair of snake chaps too! I know hunting in the swamps of NC during spring gobbler and fall bow season you had to wear chaps. It's an scary feeling walking through the woods in the dark and hearing that rattle and then feeling a blow to your leg.

This! I lived in coastal Georgia for a couple of years and believe me, those swamps are loaded with water moccasins and rattlers. We even had a game warden tell us not to get off the road unless we had on chaps and boots because he didn't want to have to go in after a bite victim. The guys I hunted with ran dogs and lost at least one every year due to snakes.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    :+1: on the Xtratuf boots.

Have worn the Xtratuf Legacy 15" steel toe boots, and while I wouldn't say they're 'indestructible', they're about as close as anyone can find. AND, they're not priced in the stratosphere.

I wear something else for very cold weather or stomping through the woods in dry weather, but for wet or muddy environments, they qualify as 'perfect', and are available in insulated and non-insulated.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    This! I lived in coastal Georgia for a couple of years and believe me, those swamps are loaded with water moccasins and rattlers. We even had a game warden tell us not to get off the road unless we had on chaps and boots because he didn't want to have to go in after a bite victim. The guys I hunted with ran dogs and lost at least one every year due to snakes.

That sucks! I hate hearing about guys losing dogs to snakes!

Top Bottom