• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mx_chick_42

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    Syracuse, IN
    I baught a Black Mouth Cur dog for my b/f 2 yrs ago for hunting. Almost everyone we talk to have never heard of the breed before. they are from the south breed for hog hunting but we have been training him for coon hunting. he is a great dog. anyone on here ever heard of Black Mouth Curs or have one like us? or what is your hunting dog?

gunrunner0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Goshen
    Black Mouth curs are a sub-breed of Mountain Curs, they're primarily trained for hunting hogs in the south as well as treeing squirrels and and coons all over the country, I've even heard people training curs as coyote dogs. I've never hunted over a Black Mouth Cur but if they're anything like mountain curs, they're extremely smart and if you have one with good breeding they'll take to training quickly with a little work. hope this helps.

Rocko25

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Indy
    i have heard of the cur dogs..i used to own two redbones. but had to get rid of them since i moved to downtown Indy. i love coon hunting and will someday get back into it. Good luck

Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    I like all the southern hunting dogs.

I have a red tick coon hound appears full blood that I got from the Marion County animal shelter. Not so much demand for hunting dogs in the middle of the city. She is a great family pet.

Have a lab and coon hound mix from the human society in Vigo County.

Both make it tough to walk after a rain and all the scents come out of the trees and onto the sidewalks. Drives them banannas.

We have some large trees even though in the middle of the city and I like to let them out back and watch them tree coons late at night. And they can really make some noise.

Used to coon hunt when much younger. I swear these inner city coons are bigger. Must be all the garbage they pick through and not have to work for food.

deer hunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    " Old Yeller" Yellow black mouth cur. I never get tired of watching this movie. A buddy of mine used to raise them. I think he is going ot get back into this.

Last edited:

GunnSlinger

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    I have two Catahoula leopard dogs which are descended from Black mouth curs. They are incredibly intelligent, very loyal, have insane amounts of stamina, and are the best watch dogs. A little off topic, but thought it might help.

mx_chick_42

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    Syracuse, IN
    i would hav put up picks of him but the site wont let me yet. they are the dog that the story old yeller was based off of. and yeah were were tossed up between either the mountain cur or the black mouth but went with the black mouth since they are larger. well here is a couple links to a few pics i hav online or you can look me up on facebook or myspace andi hav alot of pics of my dogs there. i also hav a jack russle we have trained for treeing but she is gun shy :(

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b191/mx_chick_42/jan09/1.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b191/mx_chick_42/jan09/3.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b191/mx_chick_42/jan09/2.jpg

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I like curs but my next hunting dog will be the lowly Fiest. My available hunting grounds have shrunk in size over the years and I need a dog that hunts closer to me than the longer legged cur or red bone. If my hunting quarters were larger one of those two would be my pick.

You would be surprised how many barn coons my buddies two fiest get out of the yuppies horse barns each year. He meets lots of new hunting property owners dispatching barn coons with the fiest.

mx_chick_42

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    Syracuse, IN
    Duke
    1.jpg

Lilly (my jack russel)

jnicol6600

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Nice pic Looks like you got ya a good tree dog there. My dads had various curs but we used them mostly on squirrel. Used to have english coonhounds but now got beagles. Just too hard to get out at night anymore.
    Those jack russels are sure intense. I swear they are suicidal.

mx_chick_42

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    Syracuse, IN
    oh yeah my jack russel is fearless, she has jumped in a cage with a coon when my b/f was training Duke. scared the crap out of my b/f but she held her own. the only prob is my b/f made her gun shy right as we started to train her

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I have a Pointing Lab.

I would like to add a Boykin Spaniel sometime. They are popular in South Carolina and a great dog to hunt over, kind of like a mini Lab in some ways.

My Lab hates Coons and for good reason. If I let her she would gladly hunt them with almost as much vigor as she does birds.

Mindysunrise.jpg

mindybirds.jpg

Hatchrooster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Lumpkin,Co
    I baught a Black Mouth Cur dog for my b/f 2 yrs ago for hunting. Almost everyone we talk to have never heard of the breed before. they are from the south breed for hog hunting but we have been training him for coon hunting. he is a great dog. anyone on here ever heard of Black Mouth Curs or have one like us? or what is your hunting dog?

Yeah theirs a lot of people around here in GA that use them for hog's.Some people use them for squirrel hunting to.

Top Bottom